24. Captured

Freya's hair pricked as she stood on the sun lit beach, staring intently into the shadows.

Axel looked up at her, his eyes narrowing in confusion as his gaze followed hers, resting on the shadows near the group of plants close to the tall, rocky cliffs.

Freya let out a soft gasp as a few more shadows moved, then three figures could be seen in the distance, still in the shadow of the cliff so she couldn't make out any faces.

Axel's eyes widened as he jumped up despite his foot, standing behind Freya.

Freya's P.O.V-

Freya felt a hand rest on her shoulder as her eyes didn't leave the shapes of three men in the distance. Although his hand was on her shoulder, Axel didn't say anything. Freya's heart picked up speed as she turned around, staring up into Axel's green eyes, her face full of panic and fear as she realized that those people wouldn't be hiding in the shadows if they thought Axel was no harm. If they didn't know he was German. Axel looked down at her, his eyes tormented with fear as he stared into her blue orbs, fists clenched at his side.

Freya looked down. It had to have been Roger. Who else could have known?

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Axel's head shoot up and look back toward the figures, so she turned back around, her body tensed up as she watched the figures move into the sunlight.

No.

All three were tall, well built men, with green uniforms and helmets on, each holding an army rifle in their hands as they approached Freya and Axel. Freya thought she recognized one of them, the younger soldier who had came in to speak to the commanding officer who had talked with her grandparents. She stared in fear, Axel behind her, as she waited for them to arrive. There wasn't any other exits on the beach other then the one near them, and Axel's foot wouldn't make it easy to run anyways. They couldn't defend themselves if the soldiers attacked, but maybe they could all talk things out.

"Freya, it's..." She turned around to see Axel staring at the moving soldiers, face pale. He looked down at her and he raised his hand, brushing a piece of hair that had fallen into her eyes behind her ear. Freya blinked, listening as he continued.

"It's okay. I'll be fine. You must leave. I don't..." He paused, his voice cracking and revealing how scared he was. "I don't want you hurt." He finished, lowering his hand as the soldiers footsteps could now be heard. Freya shook her head, her eyes narrowing as she pushed the fear away. Axel nodded firmly, backing up, then moving to the right to step around her.

Freya gasped and blocked his way, looking up at him, eyes wide. "No, you can't turn yourself in! We can talk this out! I won't let them hurt you, it'll be okay! Don't..." His eyes hardened and he placed his hand on her shoulder, holding her firmly in place as he stepped around her, limping forward.

Freya let out a shaky breath, slowly turning, watching Axel approach the soldiers. The soldiers began jogging, making their way over to him and then yelling, Axel throwing his hands up in a surrendering motion as the older soldiers yelled something in German and Axel responded. Freya watched, everything in her cold as she stared in horror at her friend as he painfully was pushed down onto his knees, his broken ankle forcefully shoved down...

Freya felt her emotions kicking into the situation and she shakily shook her head, her eyes blurring. No. She wouldn't let them hurt him. She took a step forward and then broke into a fast pace, making her way. The younger soldier looked up, blue eyes noticing her and stepping around the others to meet her. He approached her, blond hair blowing with the wind and his face full of concern as he walked toward her. She shoved past him, then winced as he reached out, grabbing her arm.