47. Reunited

Freya eagerly followed Axel up the stairs that led up to the bright lighthouse which stood over the beach shores of Germany. Her eyes caught on the sunset in the distance and she smiled, pausing, foot stopping on the stairs. She looked down, her eyes landing on the simple, yet beautiful ring around her finger. She blinked, tucking her loose waves behind her ear as she continued up the stairs.

"Freya, hurry up!" She heard Axel's voice, his German accent flowing with the teasing tone he let off as well, and she saw him poke his head around the circular staircase, his smile bright as his right hand rested on the rail.

Smiling, she shook her head. "Why are we here again?" She laughed softly, stepping up the stairs as he laughed and turned, beating her to the top.

Reaching the top of the lighthouse, she was met with the scenery of the ocean and beach below, a strong and gentle breeze flowing through the air and causing her hair to blow around. She smiled again, her soft face lighted with the orange sunset as her eyes met the sparkling waves below.

This is where Axel had proposed to her, three years ago.

Turning, she saw him leaning up against the rail, staring at her. She smiled, tilting her head. He looked around and then he strode forward, gently placing his hand on her face and leaning down to press his lips onto hers. She closed her eyes, reaching her hand up to brush his face and hold him, the kiss soft and yet passionate in a way.

He moved away. "Freya, I love you." Then, not giving her a chance to respond, he said quickly, "I have someone for you to meet. How are you feeling, after the climb?" He asked softly, his eyes straying downward.

She smiled, reaching her hand up and ruffling his black hair, laughing softly as he blushed and smiled, dimples clear and visible on his face as he looked into her eyes, his own green, emerald like gaze filled with joy.

"Who is it?" She asked, peering around. Axel, lean and tall, able to block her gaze easily.

"Stay here. Don't move." He laughed softly, his eyes not straying from hers as he backed away. Freya watched him turn around and walk around the lighthouse, his right arm swinging as his left held nothing. He had been okay after getting used to not having a left arm. Freya smiled, turning and looking out toward the ocean.

Things had changed since 1941. The memories were all still with her ad she regretted a lot, but she was also glad she had chosen to save Axel. She wouldn't have wished any different. And although Roger was gone, he would always be with her. She would never forget him. She looked up at the sky, wondering if he was up there. He was her hero. She smiled again, looking down at her stomach, which was a little larger than normal. She looked back out at the ocean. Axel and her had left England after traveling back to her hometown and saying goodbye to Pastor Evan, who was doing well. He would not be forgotten either. She remembered when Axel had introduced her to his family after arriving in Germany. They had all loved her like a sister and daughter, accepting her. She had to go through lots of paperwork of course, to become a citizen of Germany. But now, everything was okay.

Freya loved Axel's older brother, Dennis. He was a good humored, kind man, a strong Pilot. Axel had been celebrated after his return, it was as if he had been raised from the dead. His family praised her for saving him, Dennis pulling Freya into a hug and kissing her cheeks. Axel had been sad after hearing the news that he had lost his other two brothers, but he had recovered.

The war had taken a lot from them all.

They had bought a little house out on a plot of land, near the beach. Settling in there, they weren't too far from his family, so they visited often. Freya was happy here. She was content.

She rested her hand on her stomach. Especially now that they had decided to start their own family. She was going to name the baby after Roger. If it was a girl, she would be Susan.

"Freya, come here." She heard Axel's voice and she turned, walking across the wooden floor of the balcony path, walking around the lighthouse. She could see his shadow, along with another mans.

She stopped, staring at Axel, her gaze shifting and noticing the man who stood next to him. The man stared at her, his head full of short, dark hair and his eyes creased, strong and wise. He stood, a cane in his hand to support him as his eyes met Freya's. The sunlight reflected off of his face as they stared at each other.

Freya dropped to her knees, her hand flying up to her mouth as Axel rushed forward, catching her with his right arm. Freya felt her eyes watering, the tears spilling forward as Axel helped her stand back up, the man letting out a choked sob as Freya broke away from Axel, running and wrapping her arms around the tall, lean man who was claimed to have died.

"F-f-father..." She cried, hugging him tightly as he wrapped his arms around her, the two crying softly as Axel watched them embrace, his own eyes watering as he watched their happiness at being reunited.

"Freya..." Her father hugged her tightly, and Freya buried her head in his chest as she let the tears fall freely, joy shining in her eyes.

"How did you live?" She questioned, wiping her nose and holding his hands.

"I was taken to a war camp. They set us free once the war ended. We weren't allowed to tell anyone we were still alive." He smiled softly, looking at her and smiling, pulling her into another embrace.

"I Missed you...I thought you were gone..." The tears spilled over again and Axel watched them, his eyes bright as he felt joy in his heart seeing Freya so happy.

They were reunited. One step further to being completely home.

(Sorry about not updating often. This story is coming to an end and I can I'm proud of what I've accomplished. This story actually is going to get finished, unlike some of my others, which I won't share lol. Thank you all, Thanks to the people who have stuck through to the end. I'll probably do one more chapter, then I might make another story. If any of you want to, you can make a sequel or something similar. I don't mind. I'm so glad all of you have liked this story so far! I'm definitely going to continue writing, but since school is here, I need to focus on grades. I hope to make it to the Air Force academy, so maybe I'll have my own adventure story one day. Maybe I'll write about it when I'm done. :))))))))))))))))))))