Chapter One.

Chapter One.

Wedding dresses. That's what my adolescent life has come to. Frilly, puffy, girly wedding dresses. Some of them aren't that bad, while most of them are possibly the ugliest things I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be working here, than at home because there's nothing uglier than my mom.

You know, I wanted to get a cool job, like the person who answers the phone at a tattoo shop, but no. Here I am. I don't get paid nearly enough for putting up with the whiney, snobby, brides that come in here. There are days when I really have to bite down on my tongue to keep from going off. I have this problem where I can't not say what I'm thinking, sometimes it's good, but Van is the reason it's not.

Things are good between him and I now. We've stuck to our 'just friends' status, no benefits, nothing. Nada. Zilch. Kendall really did break his poor little heart. Which, I'll admit, Van was super sweet during the 'grieving period', he's back to his normal 'I have a penis, so I have to hit on everything that doesn't' self. He's all fine and dandy, until he sees his slutty, cheating ex-girlfriend, Kendall. I've caught him looking at her, he won't admit to it, but my eyes don't lie. Neither do his.

"Abby, there's somebody on the phone for you," my manager, Becky tells me.

I finish stacking the last box of wedding shoes on the shelf and walk to the front desk, next to her.

"Who is it?" I ask her. Nobody has this number except my mom and Darren. Oh great, it's my mom. I should just hang up. I get off in about an hour anyways. Normally I get off at seven, but I'm covering for my work-buddy Kim, so I'm here until nine thirty.

"He said his name is BatVan," she answers, confused.

No! I sigh, picking up the phone. "What do you want?"

"Busted. I found out where you're working. I'm so badass that should be a detective. Yeah, Detective Van Taylor, at your service. It has a nice ring, don't you think? ," I hear Van say on the other line.

I roll my eyes even though he can't see me. "Dude, I'm working."

"I know. Which is exactly why we're here to annoy the hell out of you," is all he says and then the line goes dead. I put the phone back on it's headset and then go back to work. Wait a minute, did he say 'we're'? Oh no! He did. Damn it! He told the guys. Shit! Now I'm screwed.

"So who was it?" Becky questions.

"My stalker," I answer. It's kind of true. I don't know how he finds things out that I purposely don't tell him.

I quickly walk to the door, making my heals clack on the floor. I almost make it, but the door opens and in walks Van, followed by the rest of them. How funny, they're actually in tallest to shortest order; Van, Kyle, Mitch, Nathan, and Dex. I would say it's cute, if they weren't all staring at me.

"Whoa, damn, man, are you wearing heals?" Mitch asks me. All of them have there attention on different places.

I look down at my black open-toed shoes and nod pathetically. It's a job requirement, I have to dress nice. Trust me, I don't like it any more than they do. I have on a black skirt, up to my waist, and a sapphire blue ruffle shirt tucked into it. Not exactly what I wear on a day to day basis.

"Have you always had boobs?" Nathan asks. Well, I know what has his attention.

"Guys, lay off," Van says. Then it gets quiet.

Wow, this is weird. And quiet. This is weirdly quiet. "So, who told you I was working here?" I ask.

"We drove around the whole fucking state of California until we found your ca-" Dex gets cut off by glares from the guys and they all coincidentally say "Dude, shut up," to him.