chapter 8

Meanwhile, at the Gala

marnie

   Naomi, Antonio, and I we're currently sitting at our assigned table in the ballroom for dinner.

   Our families were conversing here and there, Naomi's twelve year old brother Isaac, was really trying her.

   "I swear this monkey kicks me one more time" she says in my ear while eyeing her brother. He laughs.

    I was having a good time, my friends were here, no drama, and my father came.

    But I wanted my boyfriend here. I eventually went to talk to his parents and they didn't know where he was. That was a little sus to me.

   "I would like to say a few words" says Mayor Briar over the speaker while tapping her fork on her champagne glass. "I would like to thank everyone for coming to this event tonight, it's truly an honor to be able to lead this city. May we continue to rise and evolve into greatness" she says with a smile.

   Everyone applauds and then goes back to eating the dinner that was served.

   Before I could get a bite in, I feel my phone buzzing, and buzzing, and buzzing. I look down at it and there is constant notifications of me being tagged in Instagram comments and tweets flooding in. I look around and everyone seems to be staring at their phone or at me.

   "Naomi, what's going on?" I look at her and she gives me her phone with a sad look. At the top of the screen in reads in bold letters:

   Dean Alexander has a secret child by 24 year old.

   I scroll down to see multiple paparazzi shots of him and a baby who seem to be in an apartment building then pictures of him in the doorway of an apartment. All of the pictures were dated from today and the time stamps read no more then an hour ago.

   "That has to be fake, there's no-" I look around the room to see people whispering about and looking at me with quick glances.

   I couldn't say anything, I was in such a state of shock.

   I kept reading and the article read of the daughter being two years old, mixed, and the mother was-

   My father pulls me out of my chair and Naomi snatches her phone from me and grabs my hand while pulling me from the ballroom.

   I notice paparazzi taking pictures from the windows and security struggling to hold them back. Antonio follows while pushing paparazzi back with security to get us through the crowd that formed around us.

   My father is following behind while yelling at security to get this under control.

   "Marnie, did you know you were being cheated on?"

   "Who is the mother of your boyfriend's daughter?"

   We sped out of the ballroom and back to the entrance, I hadn't even realized that I was inside Ant's car until Naomi slammed the door.

   I put my face in my hands and just started sobbing.

   "I didn't even know-" I choked on tears that started to flow.

   Antonio comes and sits next to me and pulls me to him, and I cry on his shoulder. "Shhh baby, it's okay."

   I didn't even know what to say. I felt so naive, so lied to. The boy I gave everything to, had used me.

   He had given another women a child.

   "Do we even know where he is?" says Ant.

   "Who knows, he probably won't even tell us, he's a lying piece of shit" says Naomi putting an emphasis on shit.

   omniscient

    The car ride turned into silence as the three had no words to say, they all felt stupid. Antonio's driver took them back to his building per Ant's request.

    The Gala continued even after the statement was released. The parents had decided to stay for the rest of the Gala after they made sure the group was safe
at Antonio's. It was currently 1:30 am.

   Mr. Statsenburg called Naomi to make sure Marnie was okay.

   Antonio and Naomi left a very explicit voicemail for Dean saying they claimed the rights to off him.

   Marnie was sitting outside on the large patio in one of Antonio's t shirts because her dress was beginning to be uncomfortable. She also washed her face because her makeup had looked horrendous from crying.

   Marnie was never one to cry for long periods of time, or cry at all really, so that all stopped hours ago. All her sadness was now replaced with an anger.

   She was so angry that she was calm.

   The media was in a frenzy. Every drama page was talking about the scandal. The Shade Room was making updates almost every hour.

   After reading almost every post about Dean and the daughter who had been named Posie, all she wanted to do was think.

   She knew everything about Dean but at the same time, she didn't know the biggest part.

   Her feelings were a mess, her mind said let him go but the heart said otherwise.

   The sound of the glass patio door opening shook Marnie out of her thoughts.

   "School is out of the question for tomorrow" said Naomi while sitting down next to Marnie. Naomi grabbed Marnie's hand from her side and just held it. It was comforting.

   See Naomi didn't have to use words to talk, her actions always spoke volumes.

   Right now, Naomi was saying it's okay even though Marnie didn't feel it was.

*                 *                *     

thank you for reading.

xoxo