chapter 10

The group preferred that I shouldn't go to school today

Honestly, they were right, I shouldn't go after last night. But I had missed so many days already and I still want to graduate. So I went.

I didn't feel bad about last night, I still had simmering anger in me matter of fact.

But, putting aside all my anger, we did need to have a talk, a civilized talk. As much as I wanted to call him a bitch and leave it at that, I needed to hear exactly what has been happening, I needed the clarity.

   After months of being lied to, he at least owed me that.

   Currently, we're standing outside of the office waiting for Keith to get his schedule from the counselor. It was taking forever.

"I feel like today is gonna be a good day" said Naomi with a smile, "I have a feeling."

  "Good because I sure as hell don't" said Ant while rolling his eyes. What crawled up his ass?

"Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine" I say while rolling my eyes. "I just hope everyone is done talking about what happened, I'm so damn tired of hearing about it every five minutes."

   It was. After seeing the same story over and over again on Instagram, girls throwing shade on Snapchat, and tweets dissing Dean, I was tired of it.

Keith walked out of the office doors with a file folder of papers. "So I got my stuff, do you guys have any of these classes?" He showed us his neon yellow paper schedule.

"You have English and ceramics with me today" I say with a smile. His face showed relief.

   "Good, at least I know one person in those classes" said Keith.

"You don't have any classes with me or Naomi, but we can all meet up for lunch?" Ant says with a smile.

"Yeah let's do that. I think the bells about to ring though so I'll see you in an hour" I point at Keith and walk down the hall to my locker.

I had effectively avoided most of the kids in the hall by quickening my pace and turning the halls fast.

   I tried to avoid the stares and whispers every so often. I don't know if they were talking about me or just run-of-the-mill high school gossip. Probably both.

   We're popular, I say that as humbly as possible.

   I had turned the last corner when I ran into what I thought was a brick wall. It wasn't.

   There stood Dean. I wish it was a brick wall now.

   White polo. Navy blue sweater. Tan khakis. Brown loafers. He was wearing the cologne I bought him for his birthday.

   I knew the smell anywhere.

   His pink lips formed what I think was the beginning of an apology, but I spoke too soon.

   "My bad" was all I said. Well shit, that's awkward.

   I side stepped him and walked even faster to my locker, almost tripping over my own feet.

   It's crazy how someone you could talk to for hours, becomes the person that you can't even form a whole sentences for. At least I didn't cuss at him though.

I make it to my locker and grab my books and walk to my journaling class.

Classes weren't that bad today. I had my classes with Keith and they were good, he doesn't talk to me, he lets me do my work in peace. Honestly, it was nice.

   Finally lunch came around, and I couldn't complain.

"A hotdog isn't a sandwich Naomi" said Keith. "It's a hotdog."

"No Keith! It's a sandwich, it's bread with meat in between! You got me fucked up" says Naomi while rolling her eyes.

"It's a sandwich Keith. I don't know what they call it wherever you've been for years but it's a sandwich here" I say laughing while eating my salad.

"A hotdog is a whole OTHER bread of food, it's it's own thing! Naomi YOU got me fucked up!" says Keith laughing.

"Say it's not a sandwich one more time and we'll go right here!" She yells across the table.

By now we were catching stares.

"Shut up, people are staring" I say thumping them both on the forehead. Dumb asses. "Y'all are about to give people another reason to talk about us."

"You better be glad we're friends bitch, that hurt" says Naomi while rubbing her forehead.

"Where's Ant? He hasn't been here like all lunch" says Keith.

"Probably texting his "girlfriend" says Naomi with air quotes on "girlfriend".

"At this point, I'm doubting if she's real. He won't let us meet her, it's like he's embarrassed of us" I say shrugging my shoulders.

"Do we even know her name?" Keith says.

"Shit, no. He won't tell us anything, we haven't even seen a picture of her" she says scrolling through her phone.

I pull out my phone and scroll through my Instagram.

"Honestly, he probably does have a girlfriend. I bet she's a married house wife. Oh my God, he's a home wrecker!" she says outing her phone down.

"Calm down. He's probably just nervous for you guys to meet her, it's a girl meeting girl best friends" says Keith pointing at us.

"She probably thinks we're a thrupple" I say giggling. They both start laughing relentlessly.

Thrupple, haha.

* * *

sorry this is out so late 🥺, school has been really kicking my ass lately. really considering dropping out lmao. anyway, how are y'all??

xoxo