00:08

Sitting at the table with the Aristocrats was a strange experience. For one, she was able to listen into interesting conversations, and though she felt bad about it, Clementine felt a rush of excitement and self-importance at the fact that everyone was looking at her. It was strange to be in the limelight, to be perceived as a separate individual. She felt a sense of anxiety at that thought, at what the people around her thought about her.

She had only arrived an hour ago with Elijah, and had already been flocked by at least a dozen girls wanting to talk to her, all dripping with confidence and beauty. They were intimidating in their confidence and poise, but
Clementine found herself warming up eventually.

Her pale fingers fiddled with the cold metal forks, sliding it along the white, satin tablecloths. Their table was close to the stage, adorned with an extravagant bouquet of white flowers.

Aaron's parents had decorated the place beautifully. The lighting was golden and warm, fairy lights set up around roof and around the dance floor. A jazz band played a soft tune on the stage, couples dancing softly. A soft murmur of conversation blanketed the room.

"Why aren't you eating anything?" Aaron said from where he sat opposite of her. They sat at a circle table, empty flutes of champagne in front of them. "There's plenty more at the table over there, take as much as you want."

Clementine's head whipped up, startled. Elijah rolled his eyes as the fork flew out of her hands, picking it up from the floor and placing it into her palm. His fingers trailed across her palm, sending a delicious curl of heat up her spine.

"Careful, Clem." He said, his voice low enough that only she heard it.

She flushed at the nickname, butterflies fluttering around in her stomach. That was new.

"Sorry." She murmured. "Thank you."

"So polite." He mused quietly.

To Aaron, she gave a quick explanation. "I'm just not that hungry. But the food itself is amazing, your parents really outdid themselves."

"I guess." He replied. "You sure you're not hungry?"

Clementine nodded once more, but took another bite out of her salmon for Aaron's sake.

He frowned but shrugged, standing up from the table and heading to where his parents were conversing with a group of distinguished-looking gentlemen.

Roman and Levi quietly talked amongst each other, while Elijah raised an eyebrow at her. He lounged back and crossed his arms, his legs spreading in a show of intimidation, muscular thighs pressing against the stiff material of his trousers. His elegant hands absentmindedly tapped out a rhythm against the table, his cheeks slightly flushed and his eyes glittery with alcohol. He caught her eye, smirking at her obvious ogling.

She flushed and balled her hands in her lap. She was never any good at one-on-one conversation. Eye contact specifically, left her raw and vulnerable, stripped of her clothes. It was too intimate.

"You look bored," he noted. "You're not enjoying this?"

She shook her head, her fluffy golden hair tickling the smooth skin on her shoulders.

"I'm not, I promise. I just don't know what to do around so many people." She confessed. "It's a bit overwhelming to be around so many people I don't even know. It's not like I know anyone here besides you guys."

He stood up, holding out his hand. His silver Rolex gleamed as it lay wrapped around his veiny wrists. Was it necessary for him to be so tall? Especially when she was sitting, he positively towered over her. She swore he did it on purpose, as a means to intimidate her.