Six

SIX

POV Lea

I don't wanna die.

Suddenly, the elevator stops in its fall. At first, I can't believe it. The artificial lights flash before cutting out completely, leaving us in complete darkness, Billie and I, clinging to each other. Our panicked breaths intertwine as we stay still, not daring to make a move.

The silence is broken by a scrambled sound coming from the intercom. Then, slowly, I start to realize that maybe, we're not going to die. I remember the words of the technician, she said that if the elevator crashed they would try to stop it at the next floor below us.

Is it possible that... we're finally gonna get out ?

« Billie ? », I whisper. « Billie, is everything okay ? »

She doesn't answer, just holds me against her as if the end of the world was gonna happen in a matter of seconds. She's probably too shocked to form any kind of rational thought, which I understand, but she's practically stopping me from breathing. I slowly try to pull away but she doesn't want to let go.

« Hey, listen. We're not falling anymore. You're not hurt, right ? »

Still no answer. I sigh, trying to wake up from the panic that still shakes my body. Being in the complete dark is oppressing, and since we can't even talk through the intercom with the technician I have no idea what's happening.

« Billie, I need to know you're okay, » I try one last time.

Billie stays silent. I search for her face in the dark, and when my fingers finally find her cheek, I feel her shiver under my touch. I pull her into a hug, softly to not scare her, and she finally moves.

« Hey, it's okay. You're okay. We're safe. You don't need to figure anything out right now, just take a breath, » I murmur in a comforting voice.

Her breaths become more calm as she lets go of the shock, allowing herself to take the time to calm down. I notice my heart is still beating way too fast, but not for the same reason anymore. Finally, I feel Billie rubbing her eyes. She still holds me and I understand our proximity makes her feel safe.

« Thanks, » she mumbles.

« Now is probably not the time to say it but dude, the scream you made earlier was hilarious, » I say to her in an attempt to make her focus on anything but the fact that we're stuck in the dark, not knowing what's gonna happen.

« Bro, shut up ! » she responds, and I can hear the smile in her tone. « Wait... I hear something. »

Before I have the time to analyze what Billie just said, the doors of the elevator open abruptly when neither of us is expecting it, and a flood of bright light suddenly blinds our worried faces. It's like a miracle, something that we didn't even believe in anymore. Screams tear out our ears and my eyes take a few seconds to adapt to my new environment.

The first thing I see is red. People are screaming somewhere, and I realize the red is in fact the uniforms of the firefighters who are standing in front of us. We step out of the elevator and immediately, we're on another world. Before Billie and I understand what's going on, doctors are taking care of us and hiding us from the delirious crowd gathered behind the security gates. Firefighters are preventing dozens of media and photographers from approaching us.

I don't really realize what's happening, I only know it's pure madness. There's agitation everywhere, people shouting Billie's name, taking pictures and holding signs. Everything is so different from the quiet calm of our elevator.