Eight

EIGHT

POV Lea

It's the middle of the night, and as usual I'm wide awake.

It's a habit I developed a few months ago: I wake up while everyone is asleep and I enjoy the calm that surrounds me. I like this tranquility, I can do pretty much whatever I want there will be no one who's gonna say or do anything. But tonight, I'm not alone. With Billie on the phone, it suddenly becomes even more atypical.

« I'm sorry dude but if we don't agree on something with the magazine, we're gonna have to warn your parents, you know what I'm sayin' ? I know you don't want to, but that's just the way it is, » says Billie one more time, and I sigh.

Just thinking about the idea makes me want to throw up. I move in my bed to find a better position and the blankets suddenly seem heavy, as if they prevented me from breathing.

« Whatever. »

« Seriously bro, you should go to sleep, it's late where you are, » Billie adds, even if she's the one who needs a big night of sleep.

Every time I talk to her she sounds exhausted but I've never heard her complain, so I assume it's not her biggest problem.

« Yeah well remind me where you are again ? Iceland or some shit ? Isn't it technically more late where you are than where I am ? » I try to argue, just to mess with her.

She does the math in her head to calculate the time difference between us, and chuckles.

« If it's 1 am here, it's 3 am where you are, genius. But I'm not gonna sleep anyways. We arrived at the hotel an hour ago and even if I'd fucking die for some sleep, it just doesn't wanna come you know ? Damn, sometimes I wish I could have my bed just for one night. »

« Then sounds like we're gonna stay on the phone for a while, 'cause I'm not ready to sleep either. » I answer with a small laugh.

I smile as I visualize her smirking just like she always did in our elevator, and I have to admit that I wouldn't mind seeing her damn smirk again. We both chuckle at our own immaturity before diving back into the conversation. It's crazy how, in a matter of just a few days since the first call phone, we've gotten used to call each other at night.

« Bitch look at us, I swear we're not gonna be proud tomorrow, » states Billie with amusement.

I sit up in my bed then lean against the wall of my room, shaking my head.

« Don't talk about that dude, I'm trying to forget. Just thinking about it makes me want to die » I whine.

« Dying before showing me your famous erotic novels and all ? Nah, no way, I wanna read that shit ! »

Her words make my cheeks turn red and for once I'm glad she can't see me. In my defense, I'm still not used to the fact that she knows my dirty secret, and letting her or even anyone read my novels is not on my priority list right now. Like, not at all.

« What, you needy or something ? » I tease her, not showing my troubled state.

Her goofy laugh fills my ears, and my mouth stretches into an instinctive smile in response.

« Wouldn't you like to know ? » she shots back, and the hint of mischief in her voice makes my breathing stop for a second.

I resist the urge to throw my phone away and bury my face in the pillow to hide my embarrassment. This is taking an unexpected turn, not gonna lie.

« Shut up, for god's sake ! When I go to sleep I don't want to have nightmares in my head, Eilish. »

« Nightmares ? Really, that's what you call it ? » Billie says with confidence, clearly enjoying to mess with me.