FOUR - Team Yellowbird

Carver did not as much as blink when Mimi barreled toward him with an overly affectionate embrace in the making. The top of her head only reached his biceps. 

Though Mimi clung to him, his brown eyes remained fixed on Zenetra standing opposite the room. He patted Mimi on the crown of her head. "Mimi," he said, his voice deep and peaceful. "We saw each other not but two hours ago."

"I know!" Mimi's voice was muffled by fabric. "Such a long time to be apart."

Carver managed to peel Mimi off with an, "Are you going to introduce me to our cadet?"

The question sparked Mimi into movement. She pulled Carver further into the meeting room with an energetic, "This is Zenetra! She's a genius."

Zenetra stood a little straighter at Mimi's compliment.

"High praise." Carver extended his hand. "Carver Hailstrom. I see you've met Mimi. She and I used to be partners back in cadet training. Those friendships never truly end."

"Once a partner, always a partner!" chimed Mimi.

Zenetra hoped that wasn't always the case. She had no desire to have any kind of relationship with Clemence Pocket after cadet training. As she shook hands with Carver, whose palm was much larger than her own, she noted the same five stars on his charcoal-colored uniform that Mimi wore. 

"Cadet Noire," she said with a single firm shake of their clasped hands. "Commissioner Fokle assigned me to help with the search and rescue." She glanced at Mimi and added, "And I'm no genius."

Mimi gave Carver a pointed look and said, "Zenetra knows where Scarlett went down."

Carver's eyebrows knitted together. "I thought we already knew that."

Lime green hair swished side to side.

Carver sighed. "Onnan won't be pleased."

That was the third time that Zenetra had been privy to people's views on her field trainer. He seemed to be an exasperating man. She hoped she could do as Commissioner Fokle advised and keep her focus on finding Scarlett. A world of trouble awaited her if she couldn't.

"At least Inspector Hatwig is in charge," said Mimi. "Otherwise we'd all be doomed."

Knowing Field Trainer Onnan was only part of the team because of her involvement, as a cadet needed a field trainer present for every assignment, Zenetra resolved to stay on his good side. If there was one.

"I'll do my best to not cause any trouble."

Carver dismissed that promise with a shake of his head. "That won't help, Cadet. This is Garryk Onnan we're talking about. He hates us, but he despises you just as much."

"Me? What have I done?"

Mimi and Carver shared an undisguised look of apprehension.

"Cadet," Carver began. His tone had dropped. "Onnan misses the old ways. He misses the Guild."

Goosebumps erupted on Zenetra's skin. She knew what that meant and it left her fuming. "Why is a Guild Sympathizer working here? He should be arrested."

"He hasn't done anything," Mimi added quickly. "Only talks about it. People are entitled to talking without fear of being arrested."

Zenetra's anger only increased. She clamped a vulgar retort down before either Carver or Mimi could hear it. Her reputation as a Noire—and as a future constable—was on the line. "So he hates me because my great-grandfather overthrew the Guild? Splendid."