THIRTY~TWO - A New Form of Travel

James peeled off his jacket. It fell to the floor with a wet plop. His sweater came off next, followed by a long undershirt that he ripped into strips. "I reckon we can talk about what happened later. Let's get back to Healer Pilluck before these get infected."

Zenetra held out a hand, wincing as James wrapped his shirt bandages over her open wounds, and said, "Thanks."

With the aid of the moonstone, they could see the same panels they first encountered at the opposite side of the Hall of Guardians. That meant the hallway they needed was not far. A hop, skip, and a jump around the corner would have them in the right corridor but because of the active transmutation, their simple path had become one enormous obstacle.

Carver put his ingenuity to good use. He made rope using their thinner clothing, including James' sweater and Scarlett's many layers of shirts, and tied one end to the chest. Zenetra did her best to explain how to balance on such an unsteady object and then Scarlett, ever the courageous adventurer, climbed atop the chest.

"Be careful," Zenetra told Scarlett. "The stones bounce around. Tip too much and you'll fall right off."

Scarlett smiled toothily. "It is like riding my cruiser," she said, before setting off to find the right corridor. Because only a sliver of orange light seeped from the crack between lid and box, Scarlett used her flasher to help light her way. Every few seconds there was a click and then the Hall of Guardians would flood with light.

They heard feet hit the ground, saw another flash of light, and then Scarlett's hoarse shout of, "First is correct way! I will send chest back!" came from the other corridor.

Carver reeled the chest back to them and held it down from the ceiling. "Your turn, Jim."

James shook his head. "I'll go with Zenetra. She'll fall off otherwise."

Zenetra elbowed him with a weak, "Go."

"But—!"

"I'll need you to help me down." Zenetra held her palms up to show the discolored wraps of what had once been his shirt. "Or I'll do more damage."

From the other corridor, Scarlett yelled, "It is not far from there to here!"

James flattened his lanky body over the chest and gripped the strap with white-knuckled hands. The rope of tied clothing trailed behind, with Carver holding it high enough for it not to graze the transmuted floor. A minute later, there was a flash of light, a curse of, "Ugh, right in the face!" from James, and then the telltale sound of feet landing on stone.

"Pull!" yelled James from the other corridor, and then Carver reeled the chest back.

"Here, Cadet." Carver placed his hands on Zenetra's hips, far from the strip of missing skin on the back of her leg, and lifted her up onto the chest. He held the box steady until she finished adjusting on her stomach. "Ready, Cadet? Use the wall."

Carver maneuvered the chest over the transmuted floor. Though the transmutation was not a gaping hole, Zenetra filled with the same feeling of dread. The Hall of Guardians filled with soft light.

"Wait!" Zenetra held her arm back. "You'll need this."

Carver stared at Mimi's moonstone amulet wordlessly.

Zenetra waved the amulet. "Take it."

When Carver shook his head, Zenetra had the faintest inclination that he planned to stay behind no matter what.

"Why not?"

Carver rapped the chest with one knuckle. "I may be too heavy for this, Cadet."

The amulet twinkled between them.