NINETEEN - Sea Rot

Captain Inglehart observed the clear sky and calm water and agreed to forge deeper into the Triad. He flew the airship low, but not low enough for the hull to skim the water. Soon enough, the little birdless islet marker disappeared behind them.

They flew across stepping-stones of debris. Piece by piece, they collected the bits of a broken airship and gathered them into a pile on deck. The more pieces they retrieved, the more apparent it became that Scarlett Burn's Windrider had broken apart in the storm. It was a somber affair, though Zenetra could feel little sadness because of her medication, and by midafternoon, they had retrieved enough items to positively identify the wreckage of Scarlett's airship.

They had the twisted door they found floating near the islet marker, the tips of both wings, the windscreen—which was shattered and missing most of the glass—and a large side panel with half a word painted in big, bold letters. It read "AWAG," and was inarguably the second half of the name Scalawag.

One more piece of floating debris bobbed with the waves. From their position above, it appeared to be the tail of Scalawag and the most undamaged section recovered thus far.

As Captain Inglehart lowered his airship yet again, Raoul bounded down the stairs from the bridge and joined the small group of constables at the railing. "S'cuse me, Inspector Hatwig. Captain says that's the last piece we can see, so it's the last piece we're getting. He wants to turn around now and get out of the Triad before sundown." Raoul wrung his hands, fingers squeezing around knuckles as Inspector Hatwig's attention fell on him. He cast doubtful glances back up to the navigation room. "Captain also wants me to remind you that it's been eleven days since Scarlett Burn radioed in and that if she managed to survive the hurricane and the crash, exposure to the elements would have done her in days ago."

Pulling out a notepad from her breast pocket, Inspector Hatwig nodded solemnly. "Understood. Thank you for the message, Raoul."

Expelling his pent-up nervousness with one breath, Raoul turned on the spot and made for the bridge. He stumbled over his own feet when he realized Inspector Hatwig was following.

"May as well start my report," said Inspector Hatwig. To Carver, she added, "Bring the last of it aboard, Constable Hailstrom."

"Aye, Inspector Hatwig."

No one was more crestfallen at the decision to abandon the search than Mimi. Carver squeezed her shoulder, his large hand covering most of her leather jacket, and whispered, "Can't save them all," as he went to pluck the last piece of Scalawag from the sea.

Tilde joined Zenetra at the railings. "I'm sorry. I know how much you wanted to find her alive."

Zenetra watched the tail of Scarlett's airship dip beneath the ocean and resurface, bobbing like a metal board on the waves. "Bad luck to get swept up in a hurricane. The gusts must have been exceptionally strong to tear a sturdy Windrider apart. Scarlett had to have been terrified. We'll have to send word to Naiaca. Her family will need to be notified."

"Inspector Hatwig will handle all that." Tilde swiped her hair behind an ear in vain. "You'll learn soon enough, I suppose, that there are some problems you just can't solve. No matter your determination."

The last sentence was uttered quietly, almost tenderly, and Zenetra suspected Tilde was referring to Xuxa's cold case. The Ghost Sea, as if mimicking her neutral mood, lost its sparkle. Mentally and physically dampened by the medication, she stared off at the western horizon.

Despite all the dangers, their day in the Triad was peaceful. The sun was a blazing orange that matched Sunray's sails and reflected off the Ghost Sea. Except for the area blocked by Sunray's expansive shadow, the water was a glistening mixture of silver and afternoon sky.