SEVENTEEN - A Ship Full of Cards

They didn't talk about magic or alchemy again, and Zenetra knew well enough not to pry when it came to James and the Hovels. The rest of that day was spent researching routes that airships and seafaring vessels used in the week that followed Scarlett Burn's last transmission. Inspector Hatwig didn't see the sense in combing over areas of the Ghost Sea that were already checked. It narrowed their search zone significantly.

Later that evening, Zenetra sat cross-legged on her cot losing at a round of cards with Mimi, Tilde, and James. She had paired with Tilde against the other two but regretted that decision. The blue-eyed, frazzled young constable was extremely competitive yet awfully unlucky at cards.

Tilde, with over thirty cards fanned out between both of her hands, chewed the inside of her cheek. "This round is a bust."

Sitting on a small stool with his legs spread apart, James snickered. He had one card left and was set to end the game.

"Keep laughing," jeered Tilde. "See where it gets you."

James taunted Tilde by holding up his single card. "Gets me a winning hand, apparently."

Tilde moved a fraction forward, a tease most evident on her lips, when the cards in her hands exploded up and out of her fingers. They scattered over Tilde's lap, the small bed, the floor, and most strangely of all—on top of Mimi's head.

James erupted in laughter. It took him so violently it was as if he hadn't laughed that hard in a long time. He toppled backward off the stool with a loud, "Woah!"

The card remained balanced on Mimi's head, and she seemed in no hurry to remove it. "Does this mean we win?"

"Does this mean we win? " Tilde mimicked. "Of course you win, Mimi. I had thirty cards left!"

Though it was nice listening to the others trade barbs, Zenetra found herself stifling a yawn. "Do we admit defeat?"

"We'll crush them tomorrow," promised Tilde.

A lopsided smile was on James' face. He set his stool upright and picked up the cards littering the floor. "We'll see about that."

Tilde shook her fist playfully at him. "Wipe that off your face, Jim Clay. You're grinning like an absolute fool."

James handed over the cards he had gathered, including the one balanced on Mimi's green hair, and then tapped Tilde on the nose. "You're the one who's grinning like a fool, you maniac."

While Tilde bound the cards in rubber bands, Mimi pulled out four small glasses from a side pouch of her little game bag. She grabbed the bottle of whirl hidden underneath Tilde's pillow and held it up for everyone to see. "Nightcap anyone?"

Tilde took one of the small glasses with eagerness. "One for me!"

Mimi filled Tilde's glass and poured another. "Zenetra?"

"Sure." 

Mimi balanced the next glass on the palm of her hand. "James?"

James eyed the drink while rubbing his beard. "None for me. Captain Inglehart has me on night flying duties."

"Cheers, then!" said Mimi, holding the tiny glass aloft. "We'll get you one next time."

When a series of fraught expressions passed over James' face, Zenetra paused with the glass to her lips. She noted his trembling fingers and his smile that came out looking like one of Healer Pilluck's scarred grimaces. Something was amiss.

"Yeah. Sure. Sounds...sounds good." James pushed the stool aside and spun to the door. "Actually, I'd better go and get ready."

Mimi barely got out a "Safe flying!" as the door closed. Once he was gone, she said, "That's too bad."