TEN - Mansion on the Hill

Zenetra pounded the roamer's horn with her fist. The noise echoed across the driveway in an elongated note, spreading over the vast grounds like an incoming tide. The groundskeeper had the key, but he was neither in the little guardroom at the entry gate nor anywhere on the grounds.

Just when she thought she would have to abandon her roamer and enter through the walk-in gate, an unknown constable emerged from behind the guardroom. Torch in hand, his expression flitted from annoyance to shock. 

"Why are you surprised to see me?" Zenetra murmured under her breath. "You obviously know I live here."

She honked the horn again, startling the constable out of his stupor. The blinding light moved out of her face, the gates swung open, and her tires squealed as she sped down the winding driveway. Bringing the roamer to a screeching stop beside the CF vehicles, she leaped out of her seat and shoved the shiny black door closed with such force Obsidian wobbled on its four wheels.

Privately funded guards dressed in black suits bulged their biceps as she approached.

"No one is allowed inside," said one of the burly men.

"This is my estate," Zenetra snapped back. "If you prevent me from entering my own home, I will have you arrested for trespassing."

The guards crossed their arms over their chests and remained in place.

Zenetra moved as close as she dared without actually touching them. Not even a mage could stop her from seeing her father. "Get out of my way."

There was a heartbeat of deliberation as the guards considered what to do and for the span of that moment, Zenetra feared she would have to physically fight to get into her own home. Then the men shuffled aside and her path opened.

A cold sweat broke over her skin as she slipped into the large, marble-tiled foyer and nearly fainted at the sight of so many people. There had not been more than a dozen visitors in her home at one time. Not since the search for Xuxa took place, anyway. The mansion had awoken.

The hundred-odd candles filling the entryway chandelier burned the cobwebs and dust that had collected on them to glistening wax. Constables lined the way inside like shadows cloaked in uniforms. Her father swore never to willingly invite constables over ever again, especially after their failure to solve her mother's murder or find Xuxa, yet there they were.

Zenetra's feet began to move. Each step was loud and jarring, and her ears filled with the beats of her heart. She followed the constables all the way to the dining hall. The mahogany double-doors were closed, but the familiar face guarding them made her shoulders slump in relief.

Clemence Pocket stood in front of the doors, her nose more upturned in superiority than normal at Zenetra's frenetic entrance. She was still dressed in the cobalt uniform that distinguished her as a trainee. Her presence alone explained why constables were at Noire Mansion.

Zenetra had the urge to kick the other cadet, but instead, she said, "Evening, Clemence. If you'll excuse me—"

"No one is allowed to enter, I'm afraid," replied Clemence. "Governor Ewald is in a dinner meeting with—"

"Papa," Zenetra interrupted, annoyed with herself at the fact that she could have avoided all this stress if she had simply listened when Clemence offered to talk about her assignment. The skin on her brow and back turned clammy. "Yes. I gathered that. Governor Ewald must be looking for support for his election campaign."

Clemence did not move, and most strangely of all, did not appear fit to burst into zealous chatter.

Zenetra really did consider kicking Clemence then, but the doors to the dining hall opened and the house steward appeared. Her father's distant voice floated out with him, along with a laugh she assumed belonged to Governor Ewald.