The Rapture

It was nearly 10:15 and for those of you wondering…no. I didn’t take a hit of coke with Steven Tyler in his hotel room. Instead, I introduced him to Roger and they took a hit of coke and had a cigarette in the men’s room off the ballroom while talking about the music business in general. Hell, they had been gone for at least twenty minutes but I didn’t give it much thought. I could see that the press was hounding Mary and she was in need of some rescuing. I made my way through the very crowded ballroom.

 Over the years, Mary and I had developed a code…a cue for when one of us had had enough of the media or the….the whoever. I walked up to her and put my hands on her shoulders. “Excuse me, pardon me. Mary? You’re needed at your table.” I smiled at Mary and lead her away from the media hounds.

 “Oh god, thank you!” Mary smiled, completely relieved as I took her back to our table and shoved piece of cake number five in front of her.

 “Hey babe. Great party, huh? Isn’t it great?” Roger greeted me with a most warm kiss after his rendezvous with Steven Tyler. “He’s a nice guy. He’s a real nice guy that Steven is. He thinks you’re sexy. I kinda’ think he wanted to fuck you, Lyd. I just get that feeling. Shit, is this more champagne? Great!” Roger took what used to be Brian’s glass quickly. Mary gave Roger a sideways look and then me. 

 “He took a hit a’ coke.” I told her quietly, shaking my head.  “It’s been a looong time since he’s done any and by the looks of his pupils it musta’ been pretty pure shit.” I looked over and took the half-full champagne flute…I had no idea whose it had been. “God, I fuckin’ love Los Angeles!” I told Mary rather excitedly. She laughed and raised her glass to mine.

 “To LA!” she said. We looked over the table and watched as Brian so very lovingly introduced Chrissie to anyone and everyone that crossed his path. Shit, they were like two teenagers who were on their first date. Beautiful people surrounded Freddie even still. Mary shook her head. “He has to be tired.” She sighed as I felt Roger’s hand rub my back. I smiled at her concern for him, knowing it was genuine. “He puts up a good front, but truthfully he is just as ready to be done with tonight as Veronica is.” Mary confessed. “Don’t get me wrong, he has had the time of his life thus far but I worry so….he’ll crash hard tonight…go upstairs to the suite and get very quiet. Then, when I crawl into bed beside him he’ll look at me and say ‘do you think I did alright’?” I smiled at her because she knew Freddie oh so very well.

 “I think I’m gonna’ go get some cake, you want another piece, sweetheart?” I asked, rubbing on Roger’s arm. He shook his head.

 “No thanks. I’m good, babe.” He said, taking another sip of champagne. I left Roger at the table with Mary and began to wade through the crowd toward the table where what was left of the cake sat. Once I had the table in sight, someone bumped me forward, immediately shoving me into the woman in front of me.

 “Oh my god! Oh god, I am so sorry!” I said to the woman whom I had just fallen into. I had hoped to god I hadn’t covered her in white icing.  I reached a hand to her bare shoulder, horrified at my actions. She spun around to face me. Immediately, I noticed her bright, painted on red lips and the way her blonde hair fell around her face.

 “It’s okay, you’re fine! No harm here. You’re oka…good lord! That is….your dress! It’s just…that’s gotta’ be a designer.” She exclaimed to me, picking up her champagne and piece of cake, turning around to me. I smiled politely.

 “Yes. Alexander McQueen.” I stated, moving away from the cake table with her, opting for more champagne instead of a third piece. “You’re dress is stunning.” I complimented her sincerely. She was wearing a black, form hugging satin and it hung perfectly on her. She took another drink of her champagne as we moved all the way from the table to the large floral piece in a massive vase near the stairway. She smiled at me.