Watch Your Tongue

Chrissie and Brian had that almost uncomfortable kind of smile on their face. The kind of smile that screamed ‘we are so ridiculously happy and none of you people know why but shit are we happy’.  In fact, their creepy smiles and loving attitude toward one another was infectious and it spread around the brunch table like wildfire…okay, I’m lying….it sure as hell did not. Freddie and Mary were hung over on leftover cake, John just pushed his breakfast omelet around and Veronica appeared and acted as if she were about to tear someone’s head off.

 “Um…would…would anyone fancy this sauce? It’s exquisite.” Chrissie asked, happily presenting the sauce to any takers.

 “I’ll take more sauce, sweetheart.” Brian said enthusiastically, taking the sauce from her. Veronica rolled her eyes. There was silence around the table as Mary stared blankly into her coffee cup. Her head was spinning from a champagne and sugar rush. John continuously looked at Veronica cautiously, darting his eyes between her and his plate. Finally, Freddie dropped his fork unable to tolerate the silence.

 “So…boys and girls. It’s nearly 1:00. At what point do we become concerned about the birthday girl and the other one? Hmm? I tried to call four times earlier!” Freddie said, looking around the table for an answer.  Chrissie shrugged.

 “They’re probably just not picking up the phone. Did you try going to their suite and knocking?” Freddie looked at Chrissie as if she had just said the most genius thing he had ever heard in his life.

 “What the…no! No…no I didn’t even think of such a brilliant thing. Oh, Chrissie! You’re really on top of things!” Freddie grinned at her.

 “I know! I was on top of Brian last night! I’ve never done that before! OH MY GOD!” Chrissie exclaimed, not being able to hold that information in a moment longer. Oh she was fluttering above the clouds. So that’s why her cheeks were pink…it wasn’t a hangover…it was Brian. That stopped the eating around the table right quick. Chrissie gushed, trying to fight her enormous smile, Brian trying to fight his as well.

 “Jesus…god. How long have you been fucking? Huh? What? Uh…five years? Five years, darling? And you’re just now getting on top!? I bet you keep vanilla ice cream in your freezer and get all crazy when you add chocolate syrup to it.” Freddie shook his head and returned to his plate, preparing for another trip to the brunch buffet. Mary finally let out a laugh, leaning over on Veronica who gave her a forced smile.

 “Well, I would have done it sooner had I known it would have been that good!” Chrissie admitted.

 “She’s right you know that? You know there is this cosmic event that reminds of the way Chrissie…” John shook his head at Brian.

 “No…no Brian. There is not enough coffee to deal with your cosmic events.” He said, putting a hand on Veronica’s shoulder. She looked up, her eyes ridiculously wide. Roger and I slid into the two empty seats as discreetly as two people could with twelve shopping bags. We didn’t say anything to anyone at first. Our intention was to head immediately to the buffet without saying a word….that didn’t work at all.

 “ ‘Ey, Lyd. Buffet, let’s go babe.” Roger said quietly to me.

 “Ooooh no. No. No. Sit down. You…oh my. That is….that is a very soft polo shirt.” Brian said. “So….are either of you going to explain the….one, two, three….twelve bags in the floor and why you both look like you belong in Hollywood? Roger shook his head at Brian, removing his mirrored aviator sunglasses and lying them on the table. Brian had no idea those had just been purchased this morning.

 “Hi, could I get two cups of coffee please, one’s for her, black and an ashtray? Thank you.” Roger said to the waitress who was passing by.