35 years old

I wake up and the first thing I analyze is something, or might I say, someone is touching my hair. Their fingers run through my short hair every 5 seconds. It's just a pattern but it feels nice.
I turn around and face Zoe who is already smiling down at me. She's shorter but she likes to sleep at the top of the bed so she can feel "tall."

"Good morning," she says softly.

I haven't heard that softens in her voice in a while. Not ever since we tried being in a relationship.
Honestly, those days were amazing, the thing is something was out of place. We also weren't in our right state of mind to be in a relationship. So we broke it off. We only lasted about 4 months.

"Good morning," I reply.

Out of nowhere my door slams against the wall as 3 of the children stand in the doorway. Zoe continue to run her hands through my hair as if nothing happened, she didn't even flinch.
The same 3 children I was talking to last night were standing there with smiles. Axel had the biggest one.

"See! I told you! They are girlfriends!!" He yells at the 2 girls.

"I already knew though..." Belva comments.

"No, they are just friends," Caricia says.

I groan and let my face fall into Zoe's chest. It's too early for any of this. They have been going at this conversation since last night. And they probably knew Zoe was here because of her car in the driveway.

"Thank you, Caricia," I mumble against Zoe's chest.

"You guys are literally in bed together! Acting like a couple! You guys probably fucked last night too.." Axel pushes.

"Shut up, Axel! Dammit! Get out of my room, now! Before I beat your asses!" I scream.

They all scurried off except Caricia. She stood in the doorway looking at Zoe with a small smile.

"What's up?" I ask.

"C-can I give Zoe a hug? I missed her," Caricia asks barely above a whisper.

I nod. Caricia squeals and runs towards Zoe. Zoe let's go of me and hugs Caricia.

"I've missed you too, baby! I'm sorry I haven't been here lately. I promise I'll come by more often, okay? You, be a good girl for me, I don't want you getting in trouble. Now go to your room, I'll see you downstairs in a bit."

The 6 year old nods and hugs Zoe one last time before standing at the doorway again.

"Do you want me to lock the door?" She asks.

"Yes, please. Thank you, kid."

She gives me a thumbs up before locking my door and shutting it. I hear her little footsteps decrease. That's when I look up at Zoe who has a smirk plastered on her face.

"They think we are dating?" Zoe asks with an eyebrow raised.

I huff. "Yeah, little fuckers have been betting on it since last night."

"Well I think we can make Axel's dream come true," Zoe winks playfully.

"I shake my head with a smile. "I'm going to smack you Zoe."

"Kinky, I see..."

I glare at her.

"I'm kidding. Gosh...if looks could kill, I'll be long gone."

I still can't get my mind off how she..I can't even bring myself to think about her gone.

"Come on, let's just go shower," I roll my eyes.