*Chapter 02: Proposal

Is us being here our destiny or the result of us fighting it?

"We can't spend our money on something so insignificant. People die all the time, you'll get over it . . . Here I come honey, wait for me!"

I replayed those words my aunt just told me over and over again as I cried in front of the mirror in the hospital bathroom. They fucking told me that their nephew's life was insignificant to them! The people I thought could help me with my brother's transplantation and therapy said that to me like it meant nothing to him! Those sick bastards!

I bit my lip trying to stop my sobs as I tried to forget about it. Those people no longer considered us family. Why did I get my hopes high? I should've known better. Their answer wasn't all that surprising now that I think about it.

Two years ago, when my parents died in the car accident, we were left in our aunt's care. She and her husband convinced the jury that they were going to use the money left by our parents to take care of me and Ayden, so they were appointed as our guardians. We truly thought that we could live with them as a family. They did come often with presents back then, but they apparently had other plans. They sold our house and rented a small one-story house for me and Ayden to live in before taking the money and going to cruise the world. I was still young. I didn't know what to do. Since I was underage, they might've separated me and Ayden had I complained about our case to the judge. I was threatened with the same thing by my aunts. That's why I kept quiet. It was only two months ago that I became an adult and Ayden's guardian. The so-called remaining family we had were more than willing to get rid of him, so they didn't complain.

I splashed some water on my face, trying to hide my bloodshot eyes. I knew that it would be hard. I've cried the whole day ever since learning about Ayden's state, and I doubted that it would go away just by washing my face once. Hopeless. I took deep breaths again and again. I didn't want to think, but I had to. I didn't know how but I had to get that money for him. With that as my final thought, I headed back to Ayden's room. I couldn't do anything.

I noticed Mel's pain when she heard everything from the doctor. I knew she was from some rich family, but she cut her ties. I didn't know how, but they destroyed her life. It was all she said when she mentioned it to me long ago. She said she'll try to get it, but she wasn't sure just when she would make it. He may die by then. I couldn't let it happen.

The doctor explained everything to me; he had AML, the type of leukemia that attacked your red blood cells. Most leukemia cancers attacked white ones, but this one reduced the production of red cells, thus causing problems to every single cell in the body. There was no oxygen for them. The remedy was simple: marrow transplantation, then chemotherapy. He will constantly be under strong rays that will destroy his sick blood cells while it will get filtered in the meantime. He'll also need some medicine, but they couldn't say for sure. The question was if his body would accept it anyway. I prayed it would, but I needed money for all that—the one I didn't have.

Fortunately, as Doctor Grainger said, some costs were covered because of a recent donation by some big shot, so those tests and hospitalization earlier didn't cost anything. It was some kind of a welfare system that was recently implemented in this hospital or poverty alleviation, I didn't really understand it properly. Nonetheless, I was thankful to that person because we discovered Ayden's problem while it was still in effect. Otherwise, he probably wouldn't have the chance to do those tests just after fainting. I dare not ponder on this issue any longer.

"But I don't want to stay here and I don't want you to go!" Before I knew it, I was at Ayden's room as he whined, unwilling to cooperate. Visiting hours were long over and I had to go, but Ade had to stay here. I did not notice until Dr. Grainger warned me, but Ayden's wounds won't heal easily. Even a simple grasp would leave bruises on his skin. He was no different from a porcelain doll at this moment. Still, he wouldn't let me go. I didn't want to leave him either, but I had no choice. I have never been separated from Ayden at night, not since the day our parents died. After the accident, he's had nightmares and I was always there to calm him down. That's why we've been sleeping together no matter what. Seeing what has happened to our parents at such a young age was a terrifying experience for me, I couldn't even imagine what was going through his head.