*Chapter 05: News

When you're about to release an arrow, what is it that you do? You pull it back before letting it go forward. The same goes for life, so it's certain that when life puts you through some bad situations, it's because it's about to launch you into something good.

Getting grip on reality with the headache was something we all human beings hated but we're still doing it again and again. Most of the time, we do it after we get wasted on some party or whatever. However, that wasn't my problem at the moment. My headache was caused by other reasons. Unknown reasons.

"So what's wrong with her, Doc? Is it something serious?" I heard a male voice in the background ask. My eyes felt heavy. I was back to the headache part and started wondering what had happened. I definitely haven't been to some party and got drunk, so . . . Oh, right. I fainted. Wait, who's that guy? Doctor? Was I in the hospital?

"Say Max, are you her boyfriend? Moreover, I'm disappointed in you. That's your profession, so how come you don't get it?" another voice asked. Who was that? Wait, was I really in the hospital then? Hold on, hold on . . . boyfriend? And what did he mean by profession? Was he an expert in fainting? No wait . . . Max? What was Max doing here? Frick!

"Yes, I . . . somehow. Wait, what? No way!" Max said in disbelief, and I groaned trying to open my eyes. Oh, you little fake expert in fainting, just wait until I get my hands on you! It was one thing to joke with me on a daily basis, but to present yourself to other people as my partner was an entirely different deal!

"Yes way, so are you or not?" the doctor asked and just as I opened my eyes, I closed them immediately because of their sensitivity to the light. Damn. How unlucky could I be? I prayed that Max wouldn't confirm the answer to the doctor's question, for his sake, not mine. Because once I get my hands on him . . .

"Yeah," he said and for some reason, I surprisingly got the strength I needed to open my eyes. Oh, now he's done!

"Alright, then. From what I can see, she hasn't been eating properly, I can see absence of vitamins in her body, you know that this is a critical period for her and—" He stopped when I groaned louder, hoping that they'd notice after letting my eyes adjust to my surroundings. White ceiling, white walls, white everything. I was there once again. I really loathed hospitals and it took me all of my willpower not to escape right that moment.

"He's not my boyfriend. I don't have one," I stated. My throat was dry. It's been killing me, and this guy thought he could come in here and say whatever he wanted and listen about my problems? I remembered throwing up. No wonder I had a feeling that someone ripped out my throat. I shot a meaningful glare at Max's way. If looks could kill, he'd be under the ground for a long time.

"Awe, why are you so cruel to me, Kay? I can have an imaginary relationship with you," he chuckled. I was going to kill him! I didn't care if I ended up going to hell for this or jail, but he did not just pose as my boyfriend in the hospital like it was no big deal.

"Max, right now I'm contemplating whether I'll be cutting one or both of your balls." Although I sounded like a dying hyena, I managed to grin as I saw him gulp and turn a few shades paler. But then I started coughing, destroying my act before giving up. Kill later, relieving my thirst comes first.

"W-water," I choked out and he immediately went to pour me one. The doctor—I assumed he was one since he was the only one in white in the room—was glancing between the two of us in confusion and ultimately shook his head. He put away the papers he held in his arms before taking out some weird lamp that he then pointed in my eye.

"Follow the light," he instructed. I tried to before he removed it and moved his finger instead of it. I knew what he was doing, checking my brain activity. There was one time when my parents were still alive that I wanted to be a doctor. I used to get fevers intentionally so my father could take care of me and spend his time teaching me. He was a doctor. My mom didn't have any specific work, just an ordinary housewife. I missed those times.