Alexander's POV

Things hadn't been the same since Eliza left my pack. I had been spending most of my time cooped up in my office, working myself to exhaustion to the point where I'd wake up in the morning and fall asleep on the same couch in my office at night with her on my mind.

There would be times where Annette would come in to check on me or bring me something to eat, and I'd immediately want her to leave as her presence was starting to irritate my wolf and I.

It wasn't as though she did anything wrong, and I knew that. I knew everything was my fault and yet I couldn't help the way I reacted to her. It was instinctual and ever since I met Eliza it's just been a slowly growing ache in my chest that I knew only she could soothe.

As the day's went by, I noticed a difference in the way Annette and I interacted with one another. I'm sure she noticed as well, as her perky attitude deteriorated into her being quiet all because I would prefer to be away from her than near her simply to keep myself from snapping and saying something stupid.

That's why i knew I needed Eliza more than I thought I would.

A sigh escaped my lips for the hundredth time as I went over emails from Alpha's that I had spoken to at the Ball last night. Few of them I had taken a liking to, but few of them were actually decent like that Terrence guy. I could see why Eliza had taken a liking to him, but I couldn't help but feel as if I had to compete with him and his level of charm.

I could feel a migraine forming at the simple thought of it, but I had promised her that I'd try for us and I damn well will.

I signed the last documents that needed to be signed and stood up, stretching with a long yawn.

I combed my fingers through my already messy hair and exited my office. My stomach growling as I headed downstairs for a late night snack. As soon as I entered the kitchen I froze as my tired eyes trained on Annette who had been standing in the exact same spot that Eliza had been the last time I saw her.

I guess she heard my entrance into the kitchen as she turned her attention from staring out of the window to staring at me. I hadn't noticed the empty glass of wine that she had in her hand until she set it down and completely turned to face me before speaking.

"I knew this would be the only time I'd catch you out of your office." She said as she gave me a small smile.

I sighed as I nodded and made my way over to the fridge, grabbing a cold bottle of water and an apple from it before shutting it and facing her once more.

"Yeah I've been pretty busy." I told her as it was the truth.

"I know, and it's good to know that you are still the hard worker that you've always been..."She said.

I could sense there was a but coming as I raised an eyebrow at her and took a sip of my water. She sighed as she played with the tips of her hair and looked down at her feet for a second before looking back up at me, giving me one of those longing looks that she gave me when she wanted something.

"But all of that work has been messing up our sex life and well.... Baby I need you..." She said as she approached me and wrapped her arms around my neck, pressing her body up against mine.

The first inner reaction I had was a giant shiver of disgust. I could only describe it as that shiver down your spine that you get when you see something nasty, followed by that unnecessary gag. Only I didn't gag because I knew that it was partially my wolfs reaction and partially mine as well.

This is exactly why I refrained from sleeping in the same room with her. I knew that my body would start rejecting her as a partner, I just didn't want to come to terms with it and now that it's really showing, I can't help but want to remove myself from the situation.