Chapter 3

"Hey girly, what are you doing here early?" I heard my boss say from behind the register.

"I finally got my new car and I thought I would take it for a spin."

"Well look at you with your fancy car, soon you will be thinking your too good for all of us," she said with a smile on her face indicating it was only a joke.

"I already told you once before, if I can get a job at the dress shop downtown, then I will be out of here in a heartbeat" Not that I wouldn't love to juggle both jobs at once, my shift at the diner is from  4 pm-1am and shifts at the dress shop are from 6am-4pm. I would be working all day and night.

"I know honey, I was just giving you a hard time. Anyway, Cole is in the back unloading boxes, see if he needs help"

I walked through the swinging door into the kitchen, standing in the backdoor way was Cole, the chef/ assistant manager, unloading boxes.

I slowly walked up to him and said in a calm voice, trying not to startle him "Need help unloading boxes, Sonia sent me back, she said you needed help"

"Yeah it will sure make this job a whole lot easier, and funnier," He said while smiling.

"So how has Emelia been doing lately, did she ever get over that cold she had last week?"

"Oh she got over it alright, she has been nothing but a terror ever since then. Madeline has been miserable, she even offered to take over my job and you know how much she hates working." He said while handing me the last box.

"Trust me, I know, the whole time I planned Emelia's baby shower she sat around eating fried chicken and jelly sandwiches. Who eats fried chicken and jelly sandwiches?"

"She claims it is no different from turkey and cranberry sauce on thanksgiving, but I beg to differ."

All the boxes were unloaded and put in the walk-in freezer. I grabbed a notepad and pen before leaving the kitchen. I started at table one because it looked the easiest. As I approached the table, the two children sitting in the booth started crying for chocolate milk and pancakes, despite the fact that it was 4pm.

"Hi, my name is Lexie and I'll be your server today. Can I get you started off with some drinks?" I asked in the cheeriest voice I could.

"I would say chocolate milk for my boys but last time we came here the milk was spoiled." She said in a rude tone.

Trying my hardest to be nice, even though she was lying, I replied "I am so sorry to hear that, I will speak to my manager about that, in the meantime can I get you guys some drinks on the house"

Each waiter is allowed to give 4 drinks on the house, not including alcohol, or 2 regularly priced desserts under 5 dollars. Normally I would wait for Lilah to get here around 10 and we would drink milkshakes and gossip but if it will stop someone from calling the health department so be it. I finished waiting my first table and moved on to the next. Without paying attention to who was sitting there I said my usual line before looking up from my notepad. Crammed in the booth was Lilah, Manuel, Madeline, and Emelia. Emelia was holding a wrapped gift with a balloon tied around it.

"Happy Birthday Lesie" shouted Emelia while throwing the gift in my hands. She looked up at her mom and half whispered "Can I have ice-cream now mommy"

"Thank you so much Emmy, Do you want to help open it" I whispered in her ear, just loud enough for Madeline to hear.

"Can I mommy, can I" She screamed while jumping up and down.

"As long as it's ok with Lexie" she said with a sigh. "Lexie, I have another gift for you but you have to wait until the party I have planned for you later"

"You know I don't want a party, and plus I have work" I said even though I was secretly excited to get to hang out with all of my friends.

"Cole agreed to cover for you as long as you can get Cora to babysit Emelia because it is an adult party" She said with a slight smile on her face.

"What time is the party, I have to go to get dinner for my mom and Cora at my break?" I asked, even though I was still skeptical.

"I was thinking of starting at 7pm, that way we have enough time to stop by the store before we drop Emelia off at your house"

"Lesie, open your present already" Emelia interrupted.

"Alright Emmy, come help me pull the paper" I said while taking a seat next to Madeline.

After I got all the paper off, rather Emelia got all the paper off, I opened up the cardboard box, inside was a cute sundress and a pair of sandals.

"Do you like it, do you, do you" Emelia said while starring up into my eyes.

"I love it Emmy, It will be perfect for driving in my new car"

"I figured you could wear it to the party. We can go down to the beach, we will even make Manuel barbecue." She said while smiling at both me and Manuel.

"Manuel and I have been friends since kindergarten and I have never once seen him barbeque. I wouldn't trust him with anything more than pouring drinks" I said while sticking my tongue out at Manuel.

"I better get back to work guys, I have to get at least some hours in. Do you guys want anything?"

"It is already five o' clock, if you work for an hour you won't have any time to get ready." This was the first thing Lilah had said other than happy birthday.

"I suppose you right, let me just go thank Cole. We can take my car since you probably all walked" I said before walking into the kitchen.

I think this chapter went a lot better. Let me know what you think of it. Comment and vote please!!