Halloween- Will and Ethan

“You’ve never been through a maze before?” Benji asked in surprise as we sat in the car.

                I shook my head. “Nah. I mean, my dad took me through a maze once when I was five, but I don’t think it counts.”

                “Well, you’re in for a surprise,” Sonnet said, snickering. “Haunted mazes are the best.”

                I sighed. “With my luck, I’ll get separated from all of you and get murdered.”

                “No one gets separated! Well, except for Sonnet,” Will said.

                “Shut up fatass,” Sonnet said. “I bet you can’t even run with all that candy you eat weighing you down.”

                Will pulled into a parking lot, ignoring Sonnet. We all got out of the car and I followed them into a little place. Will paid for my ticket and they stamped my hand, waving me on through with the rest of our group.

                “Try not to let anyone get separated on their own,” Gideon said nervously as we walked outside.

                I looked at the giant maze in shock. Apparently, Will, Sonnet, Benji, and Gideon came here each year a few days before Halloween. How the hell they had never gotten lost in there, I would never know.

                “No one jumps out at you in here,” Will explained. “But there are people waiting in the corners of the dead ends. That’s the only time anyone jumps at you, and they’re not allowed to touch you. There’s a guy in the middle there.” He pointed, where I could make out a tall platform at the center of the maze, a man sitting at the top. “If you get hopelessly lost, sometime they’ll direct you. If you absolutely need to get out, get that guy’s attention and he’ll get you an escort out.”

                “So, what are we trying to find?” I asked, looking down at the paper they had handed me when Will bought our tickets.

                “There are stamps at certain parts in the map. Get all the stamps and you get some free stuff,” Will said. “So you have to find the stamps, and then find your way out. Everyone have a flashlight?”

                We all held up our mini flashlights. Will nodded and the five of us entered the maze. I looked around at the tall stalks surrounding us as we walked.

                “Oh, right, I forgot. There are three guys in here called the Crawlers. They’re kind of like zombie things that chase after you, sometimes they yell at you when they do it. They can’t touch you, but they will get right up to your legs screaming, so most people run away. Sometimes you’re unlucky enough to have all three chase you, but usually it’s just one or two,” Will said.

                “Benji and I got separated from everyone last year and two of them came after us,” Gideon said.

                “It was horrible,” Benji groaned, stepping closer to Gideon and grabbing his hand. “They cut through the maze to sneak up on people.”

                “Joy,” I grumbled.

                We found a stamp without incident after a few minutes. We were all shining our flashlights around, peeking around corners and trying to watch out for the Crawlers.

                We turned a corner and all yelled as a bloody clown jumped out at us with a butcher knife. Will yanked me back since I was the closest to it. The clown moved towards us with his knife and we all turned and fled, winding through the maze until we were a safe distance away.