Book Two: Chapter Six

Gandalf, Pippin, and I walked into a long hall with rows of black marble pillars. In between each pillars were carvings of old kings. Gandalf strode forward with Pippin and I in tow. Fear ran through me as we got closer to Boromir's father. For some reason I had a feeling that this wouldn't go smooth like Gandalf plans on it being.

"Hail Denethor, son of Ecthelion, Lord and Steward of Gondor," Gandalf began. "I come with tidings in this dark hour, and with counsel." Steward Denethor raised his head and gazed at us with his cold eyes.

"Perhaps you come to explain this?" He held up Boromir's horn before continuing."Perhaps you come to tell me why my son is dead." Pippin stumbled forward before I could stop him.

"Boromir died to save us, my kinsman and me, defending us from many foes."

"Pippin!" Gandalf and I whispered in unison but that didn't stop him. Pippin bowed on one knee.

"I offer you my service, such as it is, in payment of this debt." I quickly charged forward and dragged him back.

"He is delirious. Drank too much sea water. Sorry for the interruption, my lord." Denethor glared at me.

"So you are the elf that every man, elf, and dwarf wants, including my son? The wizard's apprentice," he spat out the last part.

"Well, I don't think that every male wants me but yes, I am a wizard's apprentice."

"I don't know what my son sees in you."

"Saw," I corrected. Denethor glared at me and I glared back.

"My lord," Gandalf began, breaking up a fight that was about to start."There will be a time to grieve for Boromir, but it is not now. War is coming, the enemy is on your doorstep. As steward, you are charged with the defense of this city. Where are Gondor's armies?" When Denethor didn't answer Gandalf continued.

"You still have friends. You are not alone in this fight. Send word to Theoden of Rohan. Light the beacons." Denethor smiled at Gandalf creepily, causing my grip on Pippin to tighten.

"You think you are wise, Mithrandir, yet for all your subtleties, you have not wisdom. Do you think the eyes of the white tower are blind? I have seen more than you know. With your left hand you would use me as a shield against Mordor, and with your right hand you would seek to supplant me." I went to speak against this but he continued.

"I know who rides with Theoden of Rohan. Oh yes. Word has reached my ears of the Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and I tell you now, I will not bow to this Ranger of the North, last of a ragged house long bereft of Lordship."

"Authority is not given you to deny the return of the king, Steward!" Gandalf said fiercely. Denethor turned red in the face from anger.

"The rule of Gondor is mine and no others!" I shot forward in fury.

"Lle lakwenien!?! Lle naa haran e' nausalle. Auta migula orqu!" With that, I walked out of the hall.

***

As I was lying on the bed, Gandalf and Pippin came in.

"What you said to him was disrespectful, Arietta, but quite amusing," Gandalf said with a grin on his face.

"What did she say?" asked Pippin who looked left out.

"Would you like to tell him?" Gandalf asked and I nodded.

"I said,'Are you joking? You are king in your imagination. Go kiss an orc." Pippin laughed for a good five minutes before asking a question.

"Is there any other good insults?"

"Ah yes. My favorite is probably Llie n' vanima ar' lle atara lanneina which means you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny." Gandalf smiled at me while Pippin broke into hysterics again. We were interrupted by a knock on the door. When I opened it, a young man handed me a box.

"For the new servant of the Steward." I saw the man's eyes linger on my breasts before trailing back up to my face.

"Anything else?" I asked snidely.

"Oh...uh...no it's just that..."

"Go on," I encouraged, getting enjoyment at how flustered he was.

"You're really pretty." I snickered and closed the door. It's good that Legolas wasn't here. He would've had a fit.

***I hoped you like it. Please vote/comment/fan! Thanks:)"