Book Three: Chapter Twelve

I was afraid of what I would find in Mirkwood but I couldn't live without knowing. So for many days(it seems like I walk a lot) we walked on to Mirkwood. When we hit the entrance of a forest, I knew I was almost there. You would've thought that there would have been attacks on us but there wasn't.

"Acheron, get you sword ready," I whispered when I heard a twig snap. He did, edging closer to me. I came to the palace that I had called home. The place was a ghost town.

"Would it be dumb if I yelled 'Is anyone here'?" I whispered to Acheron.

"You have an undead army, Kaelen. I don't think it would be to life threatening." So I did. No response. I ran into through the halls, looking through each one. Not one moving thing was there. When I came to my parent's room, the door was locked. I knocked and didn't hear anything on the other side. I kicked open the door and my whole family, including Adalia and Lily. Letting out a breath that I didn't know that I was holding in, rushed to them. Then I saw the blood and my mother's rapid breathing.

"W-what's going on?" I stuttered. Mother convulsed then, her face contorting into a pained one.

"She's in labor," Aurelius spoke from the other side of my mom. Father was of course on the other side.

I heard footsteps from behind and I ran back into the hallway, expecting danger but found my army and Acheron. I told the army to watch outside. Then I grabbed Acheron's hand and pulled him into the room, closing the door behind me. At the site of him, Aurelius pulled out his bow and readied it. I stood protectively in front of Acheron.

"He's a friend, Aurelius," I spoke firmly. He grimaced at Acheron.

"What, Faradrim not good enough?" I looked away.

"No. I actually sacrificed myself for Faradrim. Acheron helped me get away from the orcs," I said. Aurelius snickered.

"Yeah, he looks like one himself."

"He's half orc," I responded. This caught the attention of my dad.

"He needs to leave, Kaelen," he commanded. I shook my head.

"Father, we are here to help. I have an army of ten thousand. We can fight back!" Most of the room shook their head except Adalia.

"I'll help," she said, stepping forward. Lily was next. I guess I had misjudged her. A scream pierced the air and our attention went back to my mom. The bed was soaked in red.

"I can help," Acheron said, walking to the end of the bed. My dad looked uncertain but didn't say a word.

"Kaelen, I'll need your help," he said and I rushed to his side. "Hold one of her legs apart." He turned to father. "Get her into a sitting position. Then hold her other leg. Hurry!" We did as told and soon, mother was pushing.

"I can see the head. Keep pushing," he encouraged, his head down by the opening. She let out another blood curdling scream, pushing again.

"Okay, you can lay down again. I just have to get the baby out now." He did, and I watched earnestly and with awe. He cleaned my mom and the baby up, handing her the infant.

"Here's your daughter," he said. She looked down and smiled at the baby. I wonder if she looked like that with me.

"I want everyone to leave but Kaelen," she said softly. I looked at her, confused. The others left the room. I walked up closer.

"I'm going to die soon," she said. I shook my head.

"No, you aren't. It's just a pregnancy-" she cut me off.

"I've lost too much blood. That's why I have a favor to ask of you." I refused to look at her. She was my mother. She wasn't going to die especially after I found at that she was living.

"I need you to take care of Amity. I don't doubt that Acheron will help you," she said, taking my hand in hers. I finally looked at her, my eyes filling up with tears.

"B-but I can't breast feed or anything."

"You can. It'll be hard at first but it is possible. I can't trust anyone else and no one else is as capable as you, Kaelen." I choked on a sob. This can't be happening.

"Okay," I said finally. "But what about dad?"

"I'll take care of him. They can come back in when you walk out but let me tell them." I nodded, standing up.

"Oh and Kaelen?" she called out when I reached the door. "You were never a mistake." I opened the door. Seeing my face, Acheron rushed to my side, wrapping his arms around my body. The rest of my family went into the room.

I looked up at him, observing him. Then on impulse, I pushed him against the stone and pressed my lips against his. He looked startled but immediately responded. He spun me around to where I was the one against the wall and pulled my legs up to his waist. My feet didn't even touch the ground.

I continued to cry while we kissed. His hand went up under my dress, his own hurts pushing to the surface. His mouth we down my neck and into the crook. I arched back, my sobs echoing down the hallway. He let me down slowly, going back to my lips. When we finally broke away, I looked up at Acheron, his own eyes filled with tears.

"I don't know if I love you since I've never felt it before. But I know one thing: I don't want to be anywhere that you aren't," Acheron said, pulling me into his embrace.

"I thought I knew love. But honestly, I only knew the concept of love. I think that you are love, Acheron," I replied, pressing my face into his chest.

The door opened then and my dad walked out. He struggled a few times to compose himself but when he did, I almost wished that he didn't walk out at all.

"Your mother, she's gone."