Book Two: Chapter Eight

I walked in with my horse alongside Legolas. Gimli and Aragorn looked surprised to see me to say the least.

"Arietta, when did you get here?" Aragorn asked and I just shrugged.

"So it looks like we're coming with you," I said, changing the subject.

"Well, you all are so stubborn that I guess I have no choice." I grinned at him.

"You would die without us," I said.

"That might happen."

-

As we rode along the creepy passageway, my thoughts kept going back to the night Legolas and I had. Did this change anything? Surely we would get married. Wait, no we won't. I'm supposed to die. Oh, that's great.

"What kind of an army would linger in such a place?" Gimli asked and it was Legolas who answered.

"One that is cursed. Long ago the men of the mountain swore an oath to the last king of Gondor, to come to his aid, to fight, but when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled. Vanishing into the darkness of the mountain and so Isildur cursed them. Never to rest until they had fulfilled their pledge." Silence engulfed us until we reached a gate.

"The very warmth of my blood seems stolen away," Gimli whispered. Over the door were markings that I could surprisingly interpret. Mr. Show-off had to steal my thunder though.

"The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead and the dead keep it."

"The way is shut," I finished for Legolas. Suddenly, air blew from the entrance and the horses bucked in terror before running off.

"Stupid horses," I muttered as Aragorn yelled," Brego!" He turned to the entrance then and said,"I do not fear death," before running into the entrance and Legolas followed shortly after. Then it was just Gimli and I.

"Well, this is unheard of. An elf will go underground when a dwarf dare not. Oh! I'd never hear the end of it!" Now it was just me.

"Oh why not? I'm going to die anyway." I quickly found the other three as ghostly figures were coming out of the walls.

"Looks like I came just as the fun started," I said sarcastically. The leader of the dead spoke up.

"Who enters my domain?" Aragorn moved forward fearlessly.

"One who will have your allegiance."

"The dead do not suffer the living to pass-"

"You will suffer me!" Aragorn interrupted. The leader laughed as Aragorn's face turned grim.

"The way is shut," the leader began, sending chills down my spin. "It was made by those who are dead and the dead keep it. The way is shut. Now you must die." Legolas shot an arrow from beside me at the leader, but it just went through him.

"Did you really expect that to kill him since he is already dead?" I sneered as Aragorn stepped forward.

"I summon you to fulfill your oath."

"None but the king of Gondor may command me!" the leader snarled back. Aragorn raised Anduril, the sword of Gondor, causing the leader to freak out. The leader swung out with his sword which Aragorn blocked with Anduril.

"It cannot be. That line was broken," the leader said fearfully.

"It has been remade," Aragorn replied. He then turned to the rest of the army.

"Fight for us and regain your honor!" He spun around, saying,"What say you?" to random ghosts. Oh, that's doing so much good.

"Agh! You're wasting your time Aragorn. They had no honor in life, they have none in death," Gimli said. Aragorn ignored him and continued talking. Well, yelling, actually.

"I am Isildur's heir. Fight for me and I will hold your oath fulfilled. What say you?"

-

"Late as usual! Get off your ships, you sea rats! There's knife work here that needs doing!" I heard an orc yell before we jumped down onto the ship.

"Plenty for the both of us. May the best dwarf win!" Gimli yelled as the ghosts jumped out. The orcs began screaming and I couldn't help but giggle. The orcs attempted to fight but you can't kill the dead.

-

We had defeated the orcs but the war was not won yet.

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening," Gandalf said as I rested my head on Legolas's lap.

"If Sauron had the ring, we would know it," replied Aragorn.

"It's only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping." Gimli spoke up then.

"Let him stay there. Let him rot. Why should we care?"

"Because ten thousand orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom. I've sent him to his death."

"No, there's still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that," Aragorn said.

"How?" I heard my mother ask.

"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate." Gimli choked on his pipe while Eomer stepped forward.

"We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms."

"Not for ourselves," Aragorn said. "But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves."

"A diversion," Legolas said quietly. Gandalf looked doubtful at Aragorn.

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait."

"We should still try," I said, sitting up.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?"

-

The large black gate opened, revealing thousands of orcs. Well, this is amazing. Suddenly, the army moved out towards us.

"Pull back! Pull back!" Aragorn yelled. After we had, the orc army surrounded us into a circle. I felt a hand on my arm. I turned to see my mother.

"Arietta, use your magic." I nodded and looked out at the orcs that would probably kill me.