Book Three: Chapter Ten

When we were released from the infirmary about a day later, Acheron kept his word and got me into his custody. As soon as I was shown his room, I sat down and started weeping. My family was probably dead and I did nothing but complain about them and I would probably never see Faradrim again.

Acheron scoffed at my behavior which infuriated me.

"Can't you have a little remorse? I lost everything! Oh wait, you don't have a family since you were created from black magic." He charged at me, pinning me against the headboard, my arms above my head.

"You don't know anything about me, you stupid girl," he spat.

"Then tell me," I challenged him. He broke away from me before running a hand through his hair in annoyance. When he didn't speak, it was my turn to pin him down onto the bed. "I. Want. To. Know."

"It's none of your business," he replied, venom in his voice.

"Then my opinion of you is way worse if you don't tell me."

"I don't care about your opinion," he said, struggling to get up.

"Okay, let me put it this way: I'll let you up if you tell me why I shouldn't judge you by your outward appearance?" He relaxed, putting his head onto the bed as if he gave up.

"I'm half-orc." I was so startled that I accidentally lost my hold on him. He sat up but didn't stop talking.

"My mother was raped by the orcs during the time of the ring."

I looked down at my hands. "What was your mom?" I asked softly.

"Elf. God, she was beautiful. Even when I was younger, I could see that." I moved beside him, taking one of his hands. I really wasn't the best comforter but I tried my best here.

"What happened?" I whispered. He let out a choked sob, grabbing me and pulling me in for a hug. I was so startled that it took me a minute to respond.

"They continued to rape her. Then she became pregnant again. Her and the baby died during birth." I rubbed his back. Maybe Acheron did have some humanity to him.

When he pulled away, he chuckled lightly. "I'm such a weak arse."

"No you're not. I am. I cried over family that I treated like orc dung and here you are, not even growing up with a mother." Then I began to cry. Instead of yelling at me, he took a thumb and wiped my eyes.

"I feel better, Kaelen," he said softly.

"You're supposed to. I used my best comforting skills." He laughed at me.

"Well, you need to get some sleep. Your necromancer training starts tomorrow." I nodded. He went over to a drawer and pulled out a very revealing nightgown. I looked at it with distaste.

"I know that it's a little on the short side but at least you're in here with me and not in your own room where I'm sure you wouldn't last a night." I shivered, suddenly grateful for Acheron's presence. I walked into a bathroom, not seeing any door but decided I really didn't care, and ran a bath. I really needed to get the blood off. I stepped in, sinking down into the steamy water. I guess there was one perk of being held captive.

When I felt that the day was washed away, I climbed out and dried off. I put on the skimpy black nightgown then went to the bed that Acheron and I were sharing. He didn't even get under the covers, just slept with his shirt off. I chuckled softly, getting in on my side.

"Night Acheron."

*