Chapter 14

A/N: Sorry it’s been so long since my last update. I’ve been really busy with homework. Enjoy the longer chapter and sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes! I only had a minute or two to proof-read. Comments are always appreciated! :)<3

I was sitting on Kayla’s couch, staring at the television in front of me but not actually watching. The situation with Tom had made me too upset, mostly at myself, to really do anything at the moment. Kayla had gone to bed hours ago, but I wasn’t tired yet.

I felt my phone vibrating on the table beside me, wondering who the hell would call me at three in the morning. It was Harry. Letting it ring out, I pulled my blanket tighter around me. I wasn’t really in the mood to talk to him; some selfish part deep inside me thought it was Harry fault for making me like him. Harry called one more time, but I hit the ignore button quickly. Maybe he would get the message that I didn’t want to talk to him. Apparently he didn’t because the phone began vibrating once more. Annoyed, I picked up my phone with the intention of hitting ignore, but instead of Harry calling, Danny’s name flashed across the screen. I decided to pick up.

“Hello?”

“Emma!” Danny sounded relieved that I had picked up. “I’m going to be over at Kayla’s to pick you up in 5 minutes. Tom’s in the hospital.”

I tensed up. “What happened? Is he okay?” I demanded.

“All I’ve been told is that he’s been in a car crash.” I could hear his voice shaking. I felt sick. “I’m just around the corner. Come meet me outside.”

“Okay.”

“I have to call Harry and tell him I got a hold of you. See you in a minute.”

“Bye.”

I didn’t want to have to wake Kayla up and wait for her to get ready, so I left a note and ran out to Danny’s car. He sped the whole way to the hospital, neither of us talking. We met Harry and Dougie in the waiting room. None of us had been told what had happened. After ten minutes of silence, minus for the sound of Harry nervously tapping his foot on the ground next to me, a worker came out to talk to us.

“Are any of you his immediate family?” she asked.

“No, they’re in the United States right now,” I replied, suddenly feeling guilty that Tom’s parents had no idea what had happened. “But we’re just as good as his immediate family.”

The woman gave us a false smile. “Sorry, but only Tom’s immediate family can see him at the moment. You’ll have to wait a little longer.”

I fell back into my seat, frustrated. I contemplated calling Tom’s parents, but I didn’t want to worry them until we got all of the details.

“Emma?” Harry asked softly beside me.

“Mhm?”

“We’ve hardly said two words to each other.” He noted.

I shrugged. “I’m just worried about Tom.”

“Same.”

“I know.”

I glanced at the three boys around me. Dougie looked the worst; he kept running his hands through his hair nervously and sighing.

“Hey, Doug.” I called.

“Yeah?” he asked, looking up from the floor.

“It’s going to be okay.” And honestly, I didn’t know if that was true. But that’s the sort of thing you’re supposed to tell people. It’s all going to be okay.

Dougie half-smiled at me, before we all returned to our silent state. After a while, the woman came back.

“Are you Emma?” she asked, gesturing towards me.

“Yes, that’s me.”

“Tom asked to see you.”

I stood up and looked back at Harry, who motioned for me to go with the woman. She led me into Tom’s room, before walking out and closing the door behind her. In all honesty, I had expected Tom to be in much worse condition than he actually was. There was a cast around his left leg, a series of cuts and bruises on arms, and a bandage around his head. I ran over to the side of his bed.

“Tom! What happened?”

“My tire fucking blew out, and I lost control of the car. Crashed into a stop sign. It could’ve been a lot worse. My leg’s broken, and I have a minor concussion.” He said monotonously.

I hadn’t expected him to still be this angry at me, but I could tell in the way that he glared at me that he hadn’t given up any of his anger.

“Why the hell were you driving at three in the morning?”

“To bloody see you, that’s why! It’s all Busted’s fault.” He snapped. I thought back to the song he was singing earlier; he must have gotten inspired. I could have laughed, but I was too annoyed.

“That was stupid. You could have just called!”

“It’s not my fault that the tire blew out! And why would you care anyway?”

“Will you shut up already? I care about you, ok? You know that. Stop trying to make me out as the bad guy, I haven’t done anything wrong!”

“You FUCKED Harry!” he yelled.

“I can do what I want. You can’t make decisions for me.”

“Jesus Christ, Emma! Do you really not see how much I love you?” Tom yelled out, before pausing, seemingly regretting what he had said. He looked up at me to judge my reaction. I sat down on the edge of his bed.

“I love you too, Tom,” I said softly. “You know that, right?”

“It’s not the same. You don’t love me like that.”

“…I don’t know.” Had I just said that? Tom looked confused as well.

“What?”

“I don’t know. Maybe…,” I stopped to think. How did I feel about Tom? This was the first time that he had been open with me about his feelings. Before this, I thought that I had figured out how I felt; I liked Harry and loved Tom as a friend. But there was something nagging at me. What if I was blind to my own feelings too? “Maybe…it’s possible…that I love you more than as my best friend. Tom, I really don’t know.”

A mixture of confusion and hope glinted in his eyes. I stood up. “I’m going to go get the guys. They’ll want to see you.”

He nodded slightly, preoccupied with his own thoughts. I took one more glance at Tom before I left. How did I feel about him?