5.1 //Food for the Worms//

As much as I wanted to bail after the party, I couldn't give Sienna the satisfaction of watching me running away. So I stayed for the sleep-over, putting on the green mud mask and tossing back a few not-so-virgin mojitos. Between the death stares and awkward silences between Sienna and I, Margot, Jules, and Anya had to sense the tension. But after that disastrous game of Truth or Dare, my sister and my friends were smart enough to keep their mouths shut. I went to bed that night, closing my eyes against the monstrous shadows the firelight threw on the walls, only to see Kai's disappointed face instead.

The next morning, the five us straightened up the lake house, dismantling the decorations, throwing out the trash, and clearing out the alcohol before Mr. and Mrs. Miller dropped by. Then, after all the gifts were piled into the back of Jules' Outback, Margot and I said our goodbyes. When Anya offered to stay behind with Sienna, I knew whatever gossip she gleaned from Sienna would be circulating HVH by Monday morning. But I had bigger concerns...

Later that afternoon, under the muted sunshine of a cloudy day, Lana and I lounged in my backyard. I sat against a tall oak tree and Lana lay on her back, both hands tucked beneath her head, chewing a blade of grass as she stared at the sky. 

"Man, you totally flipped the script on him," Lana crowed. "Bet Dean wasn't expecting that."

"Definitely not," I agreed. "And I still haven't said anything to Sienna. I mean, what would be the point? An apology wouldn't solve anything."

"Yeah, but, maybe an apology could give you some closure. Don't get me wrong--I completely agree that you have a right to be upset, but you're not moving on if you're still mad at them. Eventually, you'll just end up being bitter."

I drew my knees to my chest, and sighed. "Well, thanks for your honesty."

"Sorry." Lana winced. "I'm still working on this "no filter" thing. I mean, this is pretty weird--even for me. Not being able to lie kinda sucks."

"Well, if it's any consolation, I'm not used to it either."

"So, have you told anyone else that you're Fae?"

I shook my head. "Not yet, but I'm gonna tell Margot. Besides you she's the only person who actually noticed there's something different about me. I can't hide this from her."

"Not to come across as over-bearing and over-critical--even though I know I totally am-- but, do you really think that's a good idea? Let's face it--telling your sister you're a Faerie isn't like coming out of the closet or finally admitting you like the Spice Girls."

"I get what you're saying, but if Margot figures this out on her own she'll never trust me again. We're sisters; technically, we're supposed to share everything."

" How will you tell her?"

"Actually, that's where you come in. I'm gonna need your help."

I shared my plan with Lana and was pleasantly surprised when she wholeheartedly agreed to participate. 

I texted my sister and a few minutes later, after a brief introduction, she joined us on the grass.

"Oh, jeez." Margot blew an overly dramatic breath. "Please say you didn't bring me out here just to tell me you two joined a cult."

"Nope," Lana cheerfully replied. "Although joining a cult would probably be more believable. And probable. And less scary."

"Margie, what color is the sky?" I said.

Margot narrowed her eyes, cross. "Really? Really really?"

"Just go with it," Lana urged.

"Oh, fine." Margot tilted her head back and squinted at the sky. "Uhhh, bluish-grey with a hint of white--why?"