Chapter Ten, Part Two - Welcome to the Dark Side

“So your water automatically turns into Ambrosia, but you can also turn other liquids into Ambrosia too?”

“I guess,” I replied to Lana’s question, giving a shrug that was uncaring. “But I’ve never purposefully made it before today. I dunno, it kinda just… came to me, I guess.”

“Don’t you get it – it’s the Fae-ness in you,” Lana said in a half whisper of awe as we walked up the stairs to my bedroom. “It’s growing,”

“So how do you feel?” I said quickly, blatantly ignoring her reflection.

“Great. Amazing actually – it feels like I could run for, like, a hundred miles or something. I’ve got all this energy, my nose is clear and I even stopped sneezing. It’s like I never felt sick at all.”

We reached the landing and I led the way to my bedroom, trying to feel as bubbly and positive as Lana so obviously did. But those emotions wouldn’t come – unfortunately there was only more trepidation.

“Mi cuarto es su cuarto,” I invited, crossing the room and heading straight for my desk. “Just put your stuff anywhere,”

“Nice room,” Lana observed, looking around as she dropped her backpack in the whicker rocking chair that sat in the corner. “Very sunshiny – I dig it.”

“Yellow’s my favorite color,” I explained before taking a seat and switching on my laptop. “So your parents are really cool with you staying over on a school night?”

“Yup,” Lana answered, walking to the mirror that sat above the dresser, politely snooping. “My parents are like these free-thinker, hippy types, and all the nights of Jimmy Hendrix and LSD from back the in the day fried their brains and turned them into very trusting parents.”

“Hmph, nice,” I replied, turning my focus to World Wide Web.

“So, whatcha doin?”

“Checking to see exactly what time the full moon starts. When the Ice Queen comes, I wanna be ready,”

“Are you nervous?”

“Strangely, no – I’m not really as worried as I thought I would be. I mean, after meeting Westley and the Slaugh and then almost getting killed by the Knight – I’m pretty calm. Weird, right?”

“Yep,” Lana replied, picking up a bottle of lotion and removing the lid to inhale. “Cuz if I were you I’d probably be crying and urinating at the same time… Ooops. Word vomit – sorry.”

“It’s whatever,” I assured. “The Ice Queen may have sicced her Knight on me, but there’s nothing I can do to get around tonight. I just have to face her I guess.”

“Aww, how Joan of Arc of you,” said Lana, still smelling the lotion.