Chapter Fifteen, Part Two - Tell Me, Does This Hurt Yet?

“Yes – and without authorization. She went against the Rules of the Red – it’s a code that Supernaturals live by. She’s broken the rules.”

“And what did she do with it?” I asked, speaking around the lump in my throat.

            “We don’t know yet. It’s been happening every full moon so we think it may have something to do with a spell. But we need confirmation – that’s where you come in.”

            “You’re Vampires right, so why do you need me? Couldn’t you just Compel her into telling the truth?”

            “We’re not amateurs, Tamsyn,” said Duncan with a small grin. “She’s on Vervain – a plant that repels Vampirism. We can’t Compel her while she has in it her system. I’ve suggested draining her blood –”

            “Duncan,” Juliette sharply cut in, shooting a strong look at her boyfriend. “Babe, we agreed – that’s not how we’re going to handle this.”

            “Just saying,” he replied with a teasing grin and playful shrug.

            “When it comes to your ability, you don’t have the same weaknesses as us Vampires, Tamsyn.” Juliette took another step forward and suddenly I found myself sandwhiched between the two Society members. The light beneath the microscope was now burning hotter than ever. “With your help, we can offer less… bloody alternatives to extracting the truth when we need it. Just say you’ll join, Tamsyn.”

            I paused, considering.

            “What about Lana? Can she join too?”

            “No,” was Duncan’s severe reply. “Humans don’t join The Society. Even Humans that have drowned and come back to life.”

            I turned to see Lana sitting upright on the cold, dirt ground with her knees drawn to her chest. Her face was turned from me, hidden by a curtain of hair but I could tell she was crying.

            “It isn’t fair the way you treat her,” I said, backing up so that I could address them both. As much as I resented Lana for acting as their spy, I couldn’t ignore how badly The Society used her. “Or the way Riley treats her.”

            “It’s her choice, Tamsyn,” said Duncan, looking as though he were very close to losing some of his patience. “Lana has the ability to see Fae that are hidden by Glamour. She offers her services help us protect ourselves and other Humans. Are you really gonna knock us and her for making that decision?”

            Though I hated to admit it, The Society’s appeal wasn’t completely lost on me – not when compared to the Unseelie’s offer. Even so, I was young, but I wasn’t a fool. I knew there would just as many risks to choosing the Society as there would be to choosing Titania’s court, or Oberon’s. The only difference was the playing field.