Chapter Ten, Part Three - Welcome to the Dark Side

So it was the latter I headed towards. Feeling like Cinderella I gathered the skirts of the gown as well as the layers of white petticoats beneath and strode forward in a pair of bright orange heels. I reached the doors, stopping short to gaze upon them. They were tall, at least twelve feet in height, their arched tops reaching the ceiling. Each door sported two halves of a large, capital "D" in beautiful, swirling script.  

"Dark Fae," I softly said, studying the door for a moment longer before clutching one of it's large, thin handles.

With both hands I tugged and pulled on the handles, gritting my teeth and even putting a foot against the door. But it wouldn't budge.

"Balls!" I muttered, eventually giving up and brushing a fallen wisp of hair from my eyes.

I turned back to the opposite door, which was several meters away. Firmly, I approached the pair of armor who stood at opposing ends.

"My name is Tamsyn – Tamsyn James," I said, passing my glance between the two. "And I'm pretty sure I'm here to see the Ice Queen."

"Princess," replied twin, deep voices that sounded far too deep to be human.

With a pounding heart I gathered my skirts and took several, safe steps backward as the double doors began to slowly swing open.

*  *  *

            It was literally like stepping into a hall of ice. A smooth, bluish white ceiling hundreds of feet high was supported by four gigantic, columns in each corner of the room, reminding me of Julius Caesar's era.

            The ceiling was hundreds of feet high and peaked in the center with a row of Ice chandeliers in the crack. They were beautiful, intricately carved structures that somehow blazed with inner, fluttering lights of gold.

            Beneath that ceiling, slow, instrumental music danced upon the air, and so did a handsomely dressed crowd beneath it. Women and other inhuman beings clad in gowns, were expertly twirled about the icy floor by men and other inhuman beings in tuxedos and fancy, three pieces, and zoot suits. But at the back of the hall was several feet of smooth, ice steps that led to a small dais where a striking woman in a purple-blue gown sat on an ice-throne and watchfully absorbed all.

            "Tamsyn?" I looked to my right and finally noticed the young man who had been quietly waiting. We stood together just outside the iron doors, waiting upon a short platform that was raised dozens of feet into the air by a cascade of glossy, smooth steps leading the dance floor. It seemed he had appeared from a connecting balcony that snaked along the upper walls of the ballroom. Once again I noticed the suits of armor that lined the balcony, wielding swords, rapiers, and shields like unmoving bodyguards.

            "Oh, hi," I replied, feeling uncertain as the handsome man stepped closer. He appeared only slightly younger than Westley – probably around his early twenties. His skin was a light yellow-brownish color, with very short locks of curly hair that was several shades darker. His eyes were a familiar shade of dark green and framed by very long lashes. His jaw, square and handsome seemed overly set, as if he had just recently been gritting his teeth. He was angry – it radiated frame his tall, black-suited, frame and I had the distinct impression that this discontentment was somehow directed towards me.

            "Shall we?"

            Not without noticing the way he regarded me with such disdain and coldness, I accepted his stiff arm, and we began to carefully descend the stairs.

            "Where are we?" I asked, turning to look at my escort.

            "A hall in the Ice Queen's palace," was his dull reply as he kept his face looking forward.

            "So I was right. I am in the Otherworld then?"

            "Yes" he curtly replied.

            "And I'm guessing that's the Ice Queen? Up there, on the throne?"

            "How stupid are you?"

            "Excuse me?" I replied, staring at him with incredulity.

            "I know why you're here," he said in a low voice, and when finally turned to look at me in with a spite and disgust that actually caused me to feel wounded.

            "After you've helped the Sorcerer to destroy my mother, you plan on relieving Titania of the crown. Well that's the plan, isn't it?"

            "What?" I replied, refusing to believe that he had actually accused me of such a heinous thing.

            "Dumb doesn't look very cute on you,"

            Fuming at his dry retort, I snapped my face forward and kept my eyes planted on the approaching crowd. Many of them had animal heads and sported long, twitchy tails. I spotted a few suits and dresses with hosts that were seemingly invisible, including a tall, scaly-looking creature with a long neck and a face that resembled something of a crocodile. But most of the dancers appeared somewhat human-looking with skin and hair of all shades and colors.

            Feeling ignorant, I pushed aside the harsh understanding that his was a world I knew nothing about.

            "You're wrong about me,"

            "Am I?" was his tight reply. "Somehow, I don't think so."

            It was shortly after this brief, coarse discussion that we reached the bottom of the stairs. Immediately the music faded and the crowd ceased it's dancing as a low hush of voices swelled in its place. Suddenly I knew the feeling of standing in a room with every pair of eyes on you.

Looking up I noticed the throne was empty, and s the crowd fully parted, I witnessed Titania approaching. Regally she advanced down the center of the crowd, like any royal queen. Her silk and tulle ball gown was of a pretty, bluish purple tone that went well with her bronze-colored skin. Her honey-brown hair fell loosely in thick waves along the middle of her back, revealing a heart shaped face and slanted eyes that were a light brown color. Her full lips came together in a natural pout that I admired her. Everything about this woman screamed beauty and intrigue. But there was a cruelness about her features that I didn't much care for. In my opinion, it almost spoiled her looks.

"All hail the long-lost Princess Tamsyn. With hope and joy have we awaited your return."

The Queen's voice rang out clearly across the hall, ceasing all other voices at once until there was naught else but the sound of her own heels clicking decisively against the ice.

Marveling at the fact that this was now the second time I had been referred to as a princess, I tried my very best to appear as dignified as I could. But on the inside I was terrified at finally standing in the spotlight of the very Ice Queen herself.

"My goodness, I've never known a girl to be late to her own ball," said the Ice Queen, stretching out her arms in approach. She slipped her small, impossibly cold hands around my own and began to draw me a short distance away. Turning, I watched my escort's glowering face before he was swallowed by a section of crowd all too eager to get a good look.

"I guess my invitation got lost in the mail," I jokingly responded, releasing too late that my reply might have come across as rude. But the Queen only paused and stood still, throwing back her head in high, clear laughter.

"As charming as you are beautiful," she replied, with a smile that didn't quite reach the eyes.

The Queen raised a slender arm and give her wrist a slight twirl. At once the unseen orchestra resumed and a high, lively tune struck the air. The dancing resumed and couples revolved around us, their cackles and laughs and oddly assorted voices doing the same.

"You're afraid of this place, of us, aren't you?" she asked in a small smile, pulling me from my reverie.

"Only a little," I admitted.