Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Truce

Michael stood helplessly watching Samantha walk through the open French doors into the night. He raked a frustrated hand through his hair and turned to face the others. His anger was replaced with remorse when met the disapproving gaze of his father. "Think you owe someone an apology, boy," Mr. Weathers said gruffly.

"You're right, Dad," Michael sighed. "I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me..."

"Not me!" he growled and pointed to the door. "Her!"

"I think you've done enough for one night," Claudia barked at Michael, then turned her anger on Darcy. "And you can go straight to hell!" She stalked out the door after Samantha. Darcy stood there in silence and shifted uncomfortably, under Michael's glare.

"Are you going after her, or you just gonna stand there and do nothing?" Eddie asked heatedly.

"I think you should let her go, Michael," Margaret said quietly. "This really isn't the time..."

"Your mother's right," Darcy interrupted. "You should let her cool off..."

"The two of you need to mind your own damn business," Mr. Weathers said warningly and glared at Margaret. She looked around uncomfortably, then pursed her lips in silence.

"In case you didn't notice," Eddie said, glaring at Michael and Darcy, "she's not pissed off. She's upset. She's been completely humiliated in front of a room full of people. What the hell is wrong with you?"

The hatred was evident in Michael's voice when he spoke to Darcy. "You are nothing but a shit stirring bitch! What has she ever done to you?" Darcy looked shamefully at the floor.

Eddie shoved him hard against the chest. "I was talking about you, dumbass! You better not ever talk to Darcy that way again!" Puzzled by his chivalry, Darcy looked at Eddie with a mixture of confusion and gratitude. "She was only following your lead."

"If you had told me the truth to begin with..." Michael broke off and rubbed his forehead. "No way she'll listen to me now."

"You could at least try," Eddie said quietly. "Unless you want to make the same mistake for a third time."

He looked at Eddie with apprehension. "You got my back?"

Eddie smiled. "I'd be scared of her, too, after what you pulled! Go! I'm right behind you." Michael showed his brother an apologetic expression. "I know," Eddie said quietly with a knowing look. "Don't worry, payback is hell!" Michael laughed, turned, and quickly followed Samantha's path.

#

I shoved my way through the people on the veranda, keeping my head down so no one would see the tears of humiliation I couldn't stop from rolling down my cheeks. No matter how much I wiped my eyes, the little traitors kept coming. By the time I realized I had gone the wrong way, it was too late. I could hear Michael's voice asking the party goers for my direction. He was not going to see me this way. I refused to let him know he'd gotten to me. The back entrance to the compound was past the guest house. Now, if I can make it through the gardens in the dark, I won't have to face him. I walked quickly across the back lawn and entered the tall maze of manicured shrubbery which separated the main house from the guest quarters. The cobblestone walkway proved to be more precarious than the damp lawn. Dim garden lights lined the walkway creating more shadows. My eyes strained against the darkness, and I tried to focus on the route ahead of me. Moonlight flowed down from a secluded opening a few yards away. Yes! Halfway! The path on the other side of the hidden garden spot would lead me straight out. I scrubbed the tears from my cheeks and tried to walk more quickly. A stray twig caught my hair and I was stopped short. As I wrestled with my horticultural assailant, I felt the pins in my hair give loose. One by one they fell to the ground, and I felt soft waves damp with dew fall against my shoulders. I tugged impatiently at the shrubbery, and when it gave way, I lost my footing. I stepped sideways, only for the heel of my shoe to slip off the edge of the cobblestone. I knew the loud crack had to be my ankle, and I sat down hard. I lifted my foot and with a circular motion tried to assess the damage. There was a small twinge of pain, but nothing too severe; probably only a sprain. To my relief, I found the crack had come from the heel of my shoe as it snapped off. Great! I'm going to look like a freak show by the time I get away from here.