Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Happily Ever After...

I waited impatiently outside the doors of the hospital boardroom. They had to reinstate him; this was his dream, his life. Now, because of me, he might lose everything. I sighed with relief when Michael came out. I forced a hopeful smile as he walked to me. "Well? Are you back in business or what?"

He shoved his hands in his pockets and looked away uncomfortably. "They asked me to resign, Sam."

I felt the air rush out of my lungs. "What? They can't do that. I'm alive because of you. Don't they understand that?"

Michael shrugged. "They feel my actions were irrational, and my judgment was clouded by my personal feelings. They now consider me a liability instead of an asset."

I felt a lump rising in my throat. "You gave up everything for me," I whispered.

Michael smiled sadly and brushed my cheek with the back of his hand. "And I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat." He leaned forward and lightly brushed his lips against mine. "Stop by my office before you leave; I left you something. Goodbye, Nightingale."

I stood speechless as I watched him quickly walk away. I felt my heart shatter. It couldn't end this way. I wouldn't let it. I marched through the open doors and slammed them loudly behind me. All of the hospital board members turned to face me. Margaret cleared her throat uncomfortably. "Samantha, this meeting has been adjourned. The majority voted that Michael be suspended indefinitely."

I felt the anger rising in my chest. My inner redneck was clawing her way out, and there was nothing I could do to stop her. "That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard!" I yelled. The room became so silent my ears rang. I looked around at the disgruntled faces and wide eyes. Then, my gaze rested on Margaret's face. Her mouth turned slightly upward with a discreet smile, and I bulldozed on, full speed ahead. "How about all of you take a seat and listen to what I have to say?" Everyone looked questioningly at Margaret, and she quietly returned to the table. The others quickly followed suit.

"I'm going to indulge your request, Ms. Mathis, simply because you are a valued employee, and you were involved. I ask that you make it quick," Margaret said in her most proper tone.

I nodded. "For one, I should've been included in this meeting since the behavior in question pertained to me. And two, I believe you all have made a grave mistake. In case any of you are unclear, the only reason I am standing here today is because of Dr. Michael Weathers. The behavior you consider to be irrational is what I know saved my life. The storm prevented a helicopter from transporting me out of here. It would've taken the nearest surgeon forty-five minutes to make it to this hospital in the wind and rain. That was precious time I didn't have. It has always been my understanding that the reason we are here is to save lives. Some of you are of the opinion that Dr. Weathers behaved the way he did because of his personal feelings for me. I'm here to tell you that is completely untrue. Had it been anyone else, he would've done the same thing. He is a doctor, and it is his job to provide the best care possible for every person who comes through the doors of this hospital. I hear you all now consider him a liability. Apparently, I have a different definition of that word. I consider a doctor who goes above and beyond to save a human life an asset...a person this hospital should be proud to employ. I would like you all to indulge me for one more moment," I said as I looked each board member in the eyes one by one. "Let's play a game of pretend. Let's pretend it was your daughter or your son who lay dying from internal bleeding after an accident. There is a doctor on the premises who has the knowledge and skill to save your child. He comes to you and apologizes because he is going to let your child die. When you fall to your knees and beg him to save the one person who is most important to you in the whole world, he just shakes his head and tells you he can't because that would be irrational. Do you people honestly want a doctor like that here treating you and your family? Or do you want a doctor like Michael Weathers who would do everything in his power to save you or your loved ones?"