Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Buddy List

I watched out the back window of Eddie's squad car until Michael completely disappeared in the cloud of dust the tires created on the gravel road. I watched the house fade into the distance along with my dreams of happiness. I wanted to cry, even felt like that would be appropriate at this point, but all I could do was stare at the baby shoes still in my hands. I somehow held the answer, practically written across the tiny toes, but I couldn't see it. I played every dream over and over in my mind, trying to find what I missed. Through the unrelenting roar in my brain, I could hear Eddie half-heartedly giving me my rights. It might as well have been burial rites; my life shortened with each passing second.

Eddie sighed heavily. "You know George is going to insist you stay locked up, right?"

The thought of being behind bars should've sent me spiraling into a deep depression. I could only imagine what people would say. I'd never be able to show my face in Crafton again. The rumor mill was going to be working overtime on this one. Like I said...I should've been shattered. For all practical purposes, my life was over. However, it was still my life, and it couldn't be cut short by a psycho in the parking garage if I were in jail. I suddenly felt giddy- so much so that I started laughing. "That's perfect!" I choked out between giggles.

Eddie glanced at me nervously in the rear-view mirror as he pulled the car to the edge of the road. He put the car in park and turned to face me. "Sam, are you okay? I mean...are you losing it or what?" he asked cautiously.

The horrified look on his face initiated another ream of laughter. "Of course I'm okay," I wiped the tears from my eyes. "If I'm in jail, then whoever is plotting to kill me can't get to me. I never thought I'd see the day that I was actually excited about going to county lockup."

Eddie gave me a half-smile. "Me, either...you look like shit in orange." I completely lost it after that. I laughed so hard my sides hurt, and I had to rest my forehead against the back of the front seat to catch my breath. My snickering was contagious. Eddie couldn't fight it any more than I could, he laughed until tears streamed down his cheeks. He opened the small window in the clear, bulletproof panel between us and rubbed the top of my head as he cleared his throat. I looked up to watch his smile fade. "It's not too late, Sam. I can turn this car around and take you back. Michael could have you away from here in no time."

My hysteria subsided immediately at the mention of Michael's name. "That would cost you your badge for sure. I don't want that on my conscience. Besides, it's going to take some serious detective work to figure this out. I'm going to need all the help I can get. You are pretty much the only one who doesn't think I'm crazy."

Eddie shrugged as he turned around and put the car in drive. "I think you're crazy, but it doesn't have anything to do with this."

I rolled my eyes and playfully swatted the glass. "Good to know!"

"You realize you're going to have to tell me everything. I want to do everything I can to help you, but you're gonna have to get me up to speed. We've only got about thirty minutes before we get to the station, and George is going to do his best to keep me away from you once you've been processed. You also need to be thinking about getting a lawyer. I'm sure Dad would represent you. That wouldn't be a bad idea since he's familiar with the Foster case."

I took a deep breath. "I'm not so sure I want your Dad to represent me, Eddie."

Eddie eyed me curiously in the rearview mirror. "Why? He's a great attorney."

I closed my eyes and prepared for the worst. "Because the car I keep dreaming about, the one that runs me down in the parking garage, is your mother's."