Do I Like Him?

Chapter 13: (Aubrey's POV)- Do I Like Him?

"I should probably head out now," I spoke as I stood up from my seat while Xavier dried off the last plate, and grabbed my stuff. 

"Stay awhile. I'll get bored to death here by myself," he groaned while turning to me. 

"Do what you usually do after I leave." I shrugged while grabbing my keys. 

"Well usually I hang out with my mom, talk about her day for a while then I do stuff," he explained. 

"Well, what stuff do you do?" I prompted, sitting back down with my chin resting in my hand. 

"Watch some movies, read for a little bit, go in the backyard..." he trailed off. 

I gave him a pointed look before speaking, "Well then do all those things. I have to head out." I stood up, beginning to walk to the door. As I was about to open the front door, a firm grip on my wrist stopped me. 

"Please, just stay a little longer Aubrey," he whined, pulling me backward and to the couch. 

"I have to go, Xavier." I laughed while trying to pull my wrist out of his grip but failing. "My mom is gonna get home any minute and she's gonna expect me to be there shortly after." I tried explaining my predicament but nope, he was now a little kid. 

"Yeah, shortly after," he emphasized. 

"Which can only happen if I leave now." I looked at him with obviousness in my eyes. 

"That's so not true. You only live a block away." He pouted, his grip still fixed on my wrist. 

"And I use a bike, not a car. It takes more time, plus, I take the long way," I mumbled the last part. I didn't want to get into explaining my reasons for doing so. 

"Wait, why?" he asked, confusion gracing his voice. 

"You know why, I like biking it's fun, and-" I tried to divert the topic and avoid confrontation but it was too late. 

"No, why do you take the long way?" he question, his brows knitting together. 

I fell quiet. I looked to see him raising his eyebrows at me, expecting to me explain. "I avoid the short way. Certain people are in that area and uh- I just do." I spoke in one quick breath, shrugging at the end of my words. 

"What people? Who are you talking about?" he interrogated. 

"Just people. Look, Xavier, I have to go." I tried pulling away but he just pulled me closer. 

"You're not leaving until you tell me who lingers in your neighborhood. Who you ride ten minutes extra for, just to avoid." His hold on my wrist tightened as my chest brushed against his. 

"Uh- Peter uh- Peter does," I stammered, stumbling over my words, almost whispering them to myself. 

"Does he say anything to you? Does he bother you?" Xavier pressed further. 

"N-no. His car's always there and he's always leaning on it." I looked down at the floor, I couldn't meet his eyes and I don't know why. 

"In front of your house?" he questioned. 

I shook my head. "At the end of the block. From here, at the beginning. So I'd see him first," I explained. 

"Does your mom know?" he asked but I remained quiet, staring at the floor. "Hello?" he laughed slightly while lifting my chin to meet my eyes. 

"She doesn't know." I shook my head softly.

"You should tell her. Before someone else does," he spoke lowly.