3

I'd found a large pile of saw dust and a pretty little creek before I started feeling anxious about being outside of the house. Worries started nagging at me on my way back to the house. Any number of things could have happened and my brain was entertaining all ideas by the time I started seeing the houses through the trees again.

I wasn't covered in mud, but I'd taken a little stumble by the water and had gotten dirty.

I must have miscalculated on my way back though, because the house was quickly approaching had it wasn't mine. I kept walking though, figuring that once I came out of the woods it would be easy to find my house again. But something sparkly and blue distracted me.

The water in the pool was still, not even the wind was disturbing it. The sun had emerged from early morning clouds and burned them all away for a sunny yet brisk October afternoon. I studied the house as I approached, making note that all the lights were off and despite the pool being uncovered and a few lawn chairs scattered around it, it didn't seem like anyone was home.

Curiosity overruled the anxiety I'd felt just a little bit ago, and I crossed the line as I walked into the strangers backyard. I walked a wide circle around the water, eyeing it the whole time. There was a barbecue that looked somewhat new sitting on the porch.

I couldn't help myself as I stepped onto the porch and placed a hand on the handle of the lid. I lifted it, surprised to find that even though whoever had used it last had cleaned it, it still smelled like something yummy. I'd never had barbecue.

I shut the lid and sighed, looking around. The windows had curtains but they weren't shut. I felt a little weird looking into someone's home, would have felt weird if someone was looking into mine. But it was clear no one was home, and I didn't plan on breaking in... I just wanted to know what normal looked like.

The only house I'd ever seen the inside of was mine, and it was barely furnished, barely lived in.

I stepped closer to the window, seeing a brown couch and a large TV set. The living room. I moved around the house, peaking in the windows and moving on quickly. Until I came to what looked like a teenage boys room. It was still clean, but unlike the rest of the rooms, this one looked used. I couldn't describe the difference, I could only feel it.

I got up on my tip toes, smiling slightly as I noted the monster and scary posters around his room. Weren't boys supposed to have naked ladies on their wall?

Even his bedspread was zombie, though maybe he'd done it for this month, Halloween in mind. After I noticed a pair of red boxers hanging on the laundry basket I decided I'd done enough snooping and took a step back from the building. I folded my arms, looking around until I found my own house.

Dad's car, our only car, was no longer present in the driveway. I had no idea what that meant, but I couldn't just walk I to my house through the door. I would have to climb the tree by my window and return that way. I bit down on my lip, glancing towards the sky.

I had no idea what time it was. I should have prepared better. I needed a watch.

I laughed then, out loud.

It was the first sound I'd made in a while, and even though I'd been the one to make it, I startled myself. I backed up towards the neighbors backyard, devising a plan.

I was passing the pool when I heard the voices. At least two of them. They were talking in disgruntled voices and were clearly men.

I didn't hesitate as I ran the rest of the distance, jumping the ditch instead of taking the little bridge. I caught the edge of the ditch and fell hard on my knee, scrambling up quickly and making it to the tree line, panting slightly.