12

KOTA

I noticed her absence instantly. Well as soon as I took inventory. I'd been having troubles all day with my own memories of what it was like to be so abused by someone you were supposed to be able to trust. My father hadn't ever put my hand to a burner, but he'd done plenty.

It had been a long time for any of us, really, to be able to accept our own abuse without comparing it to anyone else's. Each other's, mostly. We all had it to some degree. Some of us were better off than others, sure, but none of us deserved what we had been going through.

Some of the team was still under pressure from their abusers, for now at least.

Nathan had gone straight to the entertainment center and flipped on the PlayStation. I went to tell him to wait, because I wanted to see what Sang wanted to do before we dove into our usual, but when I'd turned, it was only Silas behind me. I glanced beyond him to the kitchen.

But when he passed me, I followed, taking a seat on the couch after folding the yellow blanket that Sang had been using earlier. I had kind of hoped for her to be asleep during all of our work in her home, but she'd surprised me by insisting on being there.

I wasn't sure what to think. Of course it was her right, but I had kind of hoped to have free reign to check things out and try to see how bad it really was. But it would be fine, I assured myself. I didn't need to be in complete control all the time for things to work out.

Something I continuously had to remind myself of.

I forced myself to watch as Nathan and Silas played Mario Kart, refusing a controller when they offered. After I'd settled my own nerves about tonight, I took out my phone to update Mr. Blackbourne.

I smiled as I saw his name in my phone, knowing that our little bird had frustrated the man to no end. None of us were going to try and get her last name either. He'd wanted to call her Storsen, the last name of the man he'd discovered the house to belong to, but we all knew that could mean nothing when it pertained to Sang.

I was also worried for Gabriel, he didn't have a phone and so I couldn't even check in with him personally. I knew Mr. Blackbourne planned to see him after dropping off Dr. Green, but I hadn't gotten any sort of update.

Mr. Blackbourne didn't usually update us though. We updated him and each other. I sighed and shot off a text, asking Victor if he'd gotten Gabriel a phone yet. Then I sent a follow up text with a small green heart.

I switched over to Mr. Blackbourne's panel of texts and started to type out a report, then I erased it and shot off a simple one.

KOTA: How is he?

MR. BLACKBOURNE: He thinks Pam will need rehab, and I agree. We'll discuss details during next family meeting. Also need to run numbers on his current trailer, for renovation vs just buying him a newer one.

KOTA: You know how he feels about us stepping in and replacing things like that.

MR. BLACKBOURNE: I'm aware. I was considering putting the original trailer up for sale with minimum fixing, and using that money towards a new one. The difference his family can handle and he can allow them to help.

I knew when he said family that he wasn't talking about Pam, or anyone that shared Gabriel's familial blood. He meant us, the eight people who made up Gabriel's true family. I took a deep breath, wishing I could read Gabriel's swear word ridden texts and see in his own words that he really was doing good, and not putting on a show for Mr. Blackbourne.

KOTA: Report on bird: plan is in place to put safety measures in home. Victor is working on setting up a phone line for her to reach us. He's been looking into the man who's on the title of the house, but hasn't had much luck. She will be helping tonight mission. North, Nathan, and myself spent one personal favor each as we couldn't ask Gabriel to agree for a group favor purchase. All were willing.