8. Triggered?

So, I only kind of understood what people meant when they talk about triggers, but now I think I understand.

I was in class and everyone had to walk to the front to turn in a paper and I caught the very distinct scent of the lotion given and used at the hospital, I used it during my transplant stay and the mystery fever stay. I don't even know who it was from, I would guess one of the people wearing nurses scrubs, but that's beside the point.

After I got out of the hospital I was given several things to use, but every time I smelled the lotion it made me uncomfortable so I just threw it away. It has a very distinct smell, I'm not really sure what it is, but it's unmistakable. It's not an unpleasant smell either. It just makes me feel wrong when I smell it.

It wasn't terrible in class, it wasn't like the person was sitting next to me so it was brief, but it certainly threw me for a loop. It was not something I was expecting. It brought up a lot of uncomfortable and bad feelings. Fortunately it wasn't a problem, I didn't have to leave lecture or anything, but it did show just how delicate people can be. How harmless things aren't always so harmless to everyone.

If someone tells you in sincerity about triggers, even if it seems small or silly, please believe and honor what they tell you.

Have courage and be kind

-Disney's Cinderella, 2015