Homeward Bound Chapter 1

Dane's story was a path of shattered lives and souls. I actually talked to many of the man's victims before I finally tracked down Dane himself. When I did find him he said he regretted nothing, but his words struck me as hollow. He was searching for forgiveness from one he had wronged when I found him, but he refused to tell me why.

This former warrior had paved his life's road with so much violence and rage. Now, he seemed like he had walked off that road and was trying a side trail that he was unsure how to blaze.

Dane Wildthorn sat alone at his meager campsite staring blankly into the campfire. The warm air was being driven by a very pleasant breeze. Animals flittered around his campsite ignoring the man and insects buzzed and flew around the fire. Usually he paid close attention to his surroundings, but this time he wasn't. His instincts were telling him it wasn't wise to be so inattentive to his surroundings, but he was nearly home. After sunrise it would just take a couple more hours of traveling to reach his home.

The warrior had been away from home for two long years. He had eagerly left to follow Zyln the Conqueror. Word of his exploits had traveled far and wide. Men of all ages flocked to his banner on the promises of glory and riches. Dane is returning with his share of both.

It was a shame that the campaign ended early. Zyln had been killed in battle a few months ago. The man who took up the fallen general's mantle, Glayne of Hillcrest, was nothing short of incompetent. If it were not for the experienced officers and advisers Zyln had collected the entire campaign would have collapsed right then and there.

The enemy even began to learn of this man's worthlessness and was growing more daring in their attacks. There was even talk of a mutiny among the ranks to remove him and replace him with someone new, which Dane was completely behind. The man was so oblivious that he had no idea that his own men were plotting against him.

In the end Glayne's advisers talked him into suing for peace. As part of the terms Glayne agreed to send half of his army home, including Dane. So the warrior took his pay and headed home ready to be rid of fool commander. He had no doubt that those who were left behind either killed their commander or defected to a new, more powerful lord. Either way it was not concern of Dane's, he didn't care if they all died the second he left camp.

Even though he was grateful to be going home he found himself missing battle. Serving under Zyln the Conqueror had been nothing less than glorious. The general did what needed to be done. If a town refused to submit then he made sure that the people in that town were properly persuaded. Dane found it refreshing not to have to worry about taking prisoners and treating the inhabitants as sparring partners. Dane got a thrill out of watching the people flee from certain death. The surge of power he felt was intoxicating.

Enemy armies were treated to the same rules. They rarely took prisoners. After all Zyln himself said that soldiers left alive may one day rise to fight against you again. Only the highest leaders were the left alive, and then only as long as it proved useful.

Of course not all the battles were that bloody. Many towns threw their gates open and welcomed the hordes in without so much as a defiant yell. Towns this easily ground under were kept alive. After all, people that were so easy to subjugate would make for effective peasants and slaves. Fortunately, after a few months Zyln's reputation preceded him and many towns chose not put up a fight. It was a wise choice.

As wistful as Dane was at this moment his body was definitely happy to be going home. He was one of the older men who decided to join up. His age gave him the advantage of being made a sergeant in charge of the younger soldiers. It also entitled him to a larger share of the loot. Being older also had a few disadvantages. The biggest one being his body could not take as much punishment as it used to. That was OK with him though. He could still drink with the best of them and many of his men would foolhardily challenge their sergeant to contests of drinking. Their sergeant always won.