Isle of Cascade Part 1

Captain Gagen himself told me this story while I was on his ship. After I had asked why these quarters on the Eiten were sealed up he told me the entire tale. After I had coaxed him a bit with some wine. Even after all the years that passed Gagen could still swear the he could feel the presence of Adiel on board.

The helmsman of the Eitan guided the ship with grace across the waves. The ship rocked back and forth rhythmically as it passed over the sea. The sailors on board were used to the movement of the ship. Many had been at sea most of their lives, some since they were children. They were as at home on the sea as a farmer was tending to his fields.

The ship's veteran captain had been in command of the Eitan for several years. Time after time he led the Eitan and its crew to victory after victory. This is exactly the reason the Eitan was selected for this mission. The admiralty knew that if any ship had any hope of succeeding in this mission it was the Eitan.

The Eitan, a 32 gun frigate, was one of the fastest ships in the fleet. Many other sailors and captains wondered why. It was constructed identically to the other frigates of the fleet, but the 203 souls that served aboard the ship knew why. It was because they were the best. On this voyage however, there was another serving with them. This person had never set foot on a ship, of any kind, in his life, much less a ship of war. He spent most of his time in study in dusty libraries or secluded laboratories. He was far from used to having the floor lurch beneath his feet. He sat behind his desk in a cabin near the main deck wishing every moment that the ship would stop this dreadful rocking. He used to always complain about riding in a coach or on horseback because of all the bouncing, but he decided it was far more preferable to be dragged by a coach or horse then spend another moment on this ship. He found himself wondering why he would volunteer for such an excursion, but then he remembered his responsibilities, and pushed the thought from his mind.

Suddenly the door to his small cabin opened; that was something else he could never get used to. People did not simply walk into another's quarters, they announced their presence then waited for permission to enter, on board this ship however, there seemed to be no such thing as privacy. He was forced to wonder if the captain was forced to endure such irritations.

"Adiel?" came a gruff voice. Adiel recognized the voice of Cyril the first officer. "We are nearing the island," he said quickly then closed the door.

Adiel lifted his small frame from behind the desk and headed toward the door. Finally, he thought to himself, maybe now he can get this assignment over with and go back to his studies. Slowly Adiel made his way to the deck. He had to constantly put his hands against the ship's walls to keep his balance. He had no doubt that the sailors on board considered him weak, but Adiel knew that if they were suddenly thrust into his normal environment, they would feel the same way he does now. Adiel also got the feeling that the crew did not really want him on board, and many thought that this mission was either a fool's errand or a suicide mission, depending on which set of rumors that a person believed.

When Adiel opened his door he suddenly felt fresh air hit him in the face for which he was thankful. He emerged on the deck and looked around for the captain. It did not take long to find him. He was standing near the bow of the Eiten next to his burly first officer. They were both looking out at the horizon.

"Captain Gagen," Adiel said as he approached.

"Ahh, Adiel", Captain Gagen replied politely. He was the only one on board who showed any kind of politeness to him. "We are nearing the island."