Chapter 6

Y/N pushed his shoulders away to face Jungkook.

"What did you just say?"

"I said I love you." Even though he said it with a plain expression, it sounded like he really meant it. Y/N was flushed with flatter.

She hesitated before saying it back – "I . . . I love you too."

Jungkook finally smiled. He looked down shyly and rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm glad. Can we . . . be together?"

"No."

His head snapped up at her response. Confusion was the dominant expression on his face, although a hint of disappointment was shown.

". . . why not?"

"Because I have to beat you and get my black belt."

"What does that have to do with our relationship?"

"It has nothing to do with us." Y/N sighed. "You know those promises that people make? Like they would only take a vacation after they have gotten good grades in their exams? Or they would only buy that expensive dress after they have worked and got the money for it?"

"And that's what you want to do?"

Y/N nodded. "I want to be with you, but I will do that after I have beaten you."

"Beaten me?"

"Beaten you for real!" she quickly added, "beaten you in a real fight. Where you don't hold back because you don't want to hurt me."

Jungkook wasn't expecting this; he was a bit disappointed, but he was more impressed of her dedication. He turned his head away as he smiled in amusement. No matter how hard he tried, he could never figure out what goes on inside that girl's head.

"If that's what you want."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/N thought it would have been awkward for Jungkook and her to be around together after the hospital incidence. But surprisingly, Jungkook acted as though nothing happened, which caused her to drop the stiff mannerism around him. They talked between classes and it was now natural for them to say hello whenever they saw each other. Not the best of friends. Acquaintances. That's how Y/N would describe their relationship.

Apart from that, the hospital incident created a whole new problem for Y/N to deal with – millions of thoughts and emotions swarming around her head. The whole 'I hate Jungkook!' feeling was starting to fade away. All the jealousy that she'd felt when she saw him fight had now turned into respect. She respected Jungkook for his strength, and idolized him for being a great fighter. She did that before as well, but those feelings were either hidden so deep within her that she couldn't recognize them, or she did but was way too stubborn to accept how she really felt. Either way, it turned out to be like this.

Y/N had started to notice small features about Jungkook – the way he swiped his tongue on his inner cheek when he was confused, the way he rubbed the back of his neck when he got shy, the way his eyes became dark when he got angry or offended (and also in taekwondo matches). His hair would never decide if it wanted to be straight or wavy, but they laid down obediently on his head, some on the front reached down and tickled his eyelids. He had a mole on his right cheek – it wasn't much, but even something as small as a mole added to Jungkook's brilliant face. His lips were pink and well shaped, and how she had to resist kissing him, every time he licked or bit them.

Y/N sometimes thought of just forgetting her condition of beating him before. And she couldn't believe that Jungkook was now rivaling with the black belt – something she has wanted almost her whole life.

Not to mention, she hadn't forgotten how much that kick hurt. Granted that she wasn't wearing any head gear, but even with her head gear on, Y/N was sure she would've gotten bruised. She always thought about it:

That's the strength of a black belt.

How was she ever going to beat him?

As she was thinking of how she was going to defeat Jungkook, Seok Hoon ran over behind her and lighting pushed her back to get her attention.

She faced him with an annoyed expression – "What do you want?"

Seok Hoon had the biggest smile on his face. "I asked Eun Ji out!"

"Really?! A pip squeak like you actually asked a girl out?!"

"Shut up!"

"And she said yes? To a pip squeak like you?"

"Y/N!" Seok Hoon whined.

Y/N laughed and flung her arm around her best friend. "Damn you have a girlfriend now Seok Hoon!"

She ruffled his hair, causing the boy to whine even more. "Y/N, stop messing up my hair! I need to meet Eun Ji afterschool!"

"A date? Where?"

"To the café."

"Lame."

"Shut up."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/N walked down the street to Gogwihan taekwondo academy for her usual classes afterschool. Unfortunately, the doors were locked, and no one seemed to be inside.

She looked around for a sign of anyone from the club.

"We won't be having class today. Coach just had a kid, so no classes."

Y/n turned around and there Jungkook stood.

"No classes today?"

"Nope."

'Why wasn't I informed?"

"I sent a text on the group chat. Do you even check your messages?"

"Maybe . . ." Y/N turned around to hide her guilt. "Um, okay. Then I'll be going now." She started walking towards her house, when Jungkook caught up to her and started walking with her.

"You and Seok Hoon seem close," he said, looking straight ahead with a nonchalant expression on his face.

Y/N turned and looked at him. "Yes, him and I have been best friends since middle school."

"But both of you are nothing alike."

"We don't have to be alike for us to be best friends."

"Best friends," Jungkook scoffed under his breath, "isn't that how it all starts."

"Jungkook," Y/N said, "Are you jealous?"

"Yes, I am." Y/N was taken aback with his sudden confession. "You said you loved me."

"I do love you, Seok Hoon and I are just friends. Besides, he's got a girlfriend and is now on a date with her."

"He's on a date?"

"Yeah," Y/N laughed, "to a café. Can you believe it?"

"What's wrong with a café?"

"Nothing is. But come on, cafés are really boring places."

"Well then, where would you want to go on a date?"

Y/N thought for a moment. "An arcade!"