43

Harry Styles

I hadn't talked to Vicky since our argument at the café; I wasn't fond of Kent – surely I made that clear – so seeing them sitting together in that little booth had my mind reeling with possibilities. I had wanted to surprise her at work, take her out for a nice dinner, and I even went so far as to take my Mustang Boss 429 home and bring back my Bentley because I knew it was her favorite. Needless to say, I lost my appetite.

There will always be someone in this world that you just absolutely loath, for no apparent reason, whether your intuition is telling you to stay away or you just hate the way they walk. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that hate me, it's their prerogative, I'm not going to try and convince them otherwise because frankly, it's none of my business.

There is something about Kent that sets me off – maybe it's the way he always sits to close to Vicky, or how he had tried to convince me to stop seeing her because he was her supposed boyfriend. Kent could have been the end of things between Vicky and I, before they even had the chance to start, if I had chosen to believe him. At least William, his clearly more intelligent older brother, had gotten the hint and stayed away from Vicky.

I had run into William the other day, at a coffee shop near the club, and he – being the idiot that he is­ – decided to strike up a pointless conversation with me. I didn't listen to a damn thing he had said until I heard him mention Vicky.

He claimed that her and Kenny were supposed to hang out after her shift because he had a bit of a crush on her. The moment he insinuated that it was a date should have been the same moment I smashed his face against the granite countertop we were both seated at, and demanded that both he and his pathetic little brother should stay away from my girl.

''Yo, arse, will you quit daydreaming?'' Louis asked me.

I rubbed my eyes in an attempt to stop the burning, a telltale sign that I had been staring at something while I zoned out. ''Sorry mate, I had a rough day.'' I confessed. He nodded, understanding the issues I was having. Louis lived his life the way he always had with Alexus. She was a doctor and he was a dentist, that's how they met.

''I'm seriously considering hiring you a new DJ, this one is absolute shit.'' Louis said, and he leaned back against the couch. A cigarette was between his parted lips, the smoke escaping into the air between us.

''As long as you don't do it yourself everything is okay,'' I laughed. Louis slapped me against my head, and chuckled a bit. I opened a bottle of beer and quickly drank it, feeling the familiar liquid oozing down my throat. I needed this; the cloudiness of the alcohol would take my mind off the fight with Vicky.

If I was drunk I wouldn't have to relive every disgusting accusation that she had been with someone else. I knew that it was pathetic to allow Kent and William to interfere in our relationship, but I couldn't help but think that what I had to offer wasn't enough for her. I never wanted to be in a committed relationship before Vicky, and I didn't know how; if I wasn't giving her what she needed, surely she would find it elsewhere.

''Everything about today is fucking horrible, mate. Seriously, it seems like everything in my life is going to shit.'' Louis complained. He placed his feet recklessly onto his table. ''First, I got a call from the man I've hired to tailor our suits for the wedding – he needs us to come back for more measurements. Next up, Alexus and I fought today because I don't want her mom at our wedding. I don't like that old hag, and it's obvious that she hates me as well, but Alexus wants her there. Lastly, I stepped on my glasses this morning so I can't read anything.''

I grabbed my pair of glasses and handed them to Louis. ''Want to borrow mine for a bit?'' I asked him while holding the glasses. Louis sat looking at the RayBans thoughtfully, but he shook his head after a few seconds.