Chapter 15

“The Heart of a Wildflower”

2012 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 15

Several hours later Elizabeth slowly began to wake up but couldn’t quite bring herself to open her eyes yet. Zeb’s thick, muscular arms surrounded her, making her feel so warm and so comfortable. She didn’t want to move. In fact, she would be happy if she could just lie here in this position for the rest of the day.

She started to smile but then she served herself a heavy dose of reality.  She suddenly realized that waking up in this mans arms was a feeling that she could easily find herself getting addicting to; too easily in fact.

She frowned at that thought. She didn’t have the time or the energy to deal with a man in her life. Especially one like Zeb. She opened her eyes and stared at the wall across the room, wondering what she had gotten herself into when the inevitable happened. The events from the night before came crashing down on her like a tidal wave- going to her mother’s, sharing dinner, laughing and having a good time until her mother calmly announced her pregnancy like it was something she spoke of on a daily basis.

“He knows,” she whispered. The words escaped her mouth before she even realized that she had spoken aloud. Panic bloomed in her chest. He knew the truth about their son.

The arms that encircled her, suddenly tightened. It was as if he had sensed her need to flee.

“Yes,” he announced calmly from behind her, “I do know. I wish you would have told me sooner though.”

Elizabeth tried to sit up but she couldn't. When he refused to loosen his hold on her she pushed against his arms. She didn’t want to be here. She didn’t want to have to face him. How was she supposed to explain to him that she did the only thing that she thought she could do at the time when she wasn't even sure herself anymore? He wouldn’t believe her. Maybe she should have kept their son and tried harder.  Either way, now it was too late.  “Let me go, please.”

“Where do you think you’re going, sweetheart?” His arms felt like steel bands around her and his deep voice reverberated against her back causing her to shudder. How could he just wake up and sound so undeniably sexy?

She slowly let out a breath and collected herself. She needed to get away from him if she planned on holding on to an ounce of her dignity. “I, eh… I need to take a shower,” she stammered, “and I think it’s time for you to leave.” She made sure to keep her eyes staring straight in front of her and not look in his direction. She didn’t want to see his face or better yet, see his disappointment in her.

In one swift move, he flipped her over so she was lying flat on her back. His face hovered just inches from hers and when she closed her eyes, intentionally refusing to look at him, Zeb hooked her chin with his finger and forced her to look up at him. “Sweetheart, look at me,” he instructed.

Reluctantly, she opened her eyes and stared up at him.

“Now, I want you to listen to me this time and I want you to listen to me good.  I’m not going anywhere. You’re not getting rid of me that easy. You’re, in effect, stuck with me so get used to it baby.” The pad of his thumb smoothed over her bottom lip and there was an intensity burning in his eyes that she couldn’t deny. He meant what he was saying to her. He wasn’t leaving her this time.

“But,” she frowned, and blinked away the wetness that threatened to blur her vision. “Don’t you hate me now?”

“No! What in the world would make you say something like that?”