prologue

It's dark, and quiet. Being alone with my thoughts is tough, but it's the sounds I fear the most.

The sounds mean pain.

Jane is to my left, and she's asleep. I think she does it to avoid the overwhelming sense of despair. It's her defense. I wish I had a defense.

Maybe I do. I don't talk. Not anymore. Not after everything that I've gone though.

There's another girl here, but she's on the other side of Jane, and she's been here almost as long as I have. She's sick, really sick. I never bothered to ask her name.

Why do names matter when we're all doomed? We will all die by the end of this. Slow, long, torturous deaths without mercy.

It terrifies me, but it's reality. Reality keeps me grounded.

There's a scratching sound. I sit up, scuttling back into the corner in an attempt to keep me hidden in the musty shadows. I know what's about to come, and I'm sick to my stomach. Tears start to flow down my face, and I pray it's a short ordeal.

"Look at her, she's terrified!" The words are practically laughed. I whine as the two men stand outside my prison with excited grins.

The barred door swings open with a whine, and I gasp for air. I desperately try to get oxygen into my lungs. It's not working.

I don't beg for mercy. I don't try to stop them.

The only thing I can do is hope that someway, somehow, this will all be over.

Next chapter will be up later today!