|16|

Elik

I quickly take Penelope back to our small den where she will have peace and quiet. Thankfully, the small female has stopped her crying and has remained silent though our journey down countless hallways and corridors. Sometimes I curse this place. The palace is too large.

When we reach the den, I slam the doors shut behind us, separating us from the world of pain. Once I've set Penelope down, I tear off my shirt in frustration. I feel so hot from the inside out. Blood is splattered on my shirt, and stained on my knuckles.

I don't want Penelope to see the evidence of violence, so I flee to bathroom to wash it away before she can spot it. The sounds of the water running block everything out. It's all I can concentrate on while I scrub. I watch the pink water gurgle down the drain.

Once it's gone, I return to the main room with a heaving chest. I'm out of breath. I want nothing more than to go back and find that worthless piece of scum and make him cry like he did to my precious female. How dare him say those things?

I run a frustrated hand over my short hair, wishing I had something to punch. I need to take out this energy, this fury, and I want to take blood.

Penelope's soft hands prod at my arm, and I tear away from her, shielding my eyes from her. My pupils are likely dilated with brutality and darkness. She can't see that.

She's insistent though, and her touch is so different than the rough pulling I just experienced from the other males as they tore me away from my target. Penelope's hands are tiny and kind. I want them all over me.

I growl, annoyed that she won't quit. Can't she see that I am protecting her from myself? She wants what she wants when she wants it, but I can never be angry at her. She is far too perfect to be at fault.

"What is it, sweet human?" I ask her calmly, hiding the fury that's bubbling just under the surface. She's still pulling at me silently, and I sigh, turning to face her in a quick whirl that nearly knocks her over. I have to grab her slight shoulders to keep her from falling.

I'm reminded by how little Penelope really is. The top of her head doesn't even come to my shoulder, in fact, she barely makes it halfway up my arm. She's so delicate, I can hardly stand it. Knowing how vulnerable she is kills me.

What I see when I finally look into her eyes is kindness, but a heavy amount of fear as well. I'm so startled by it that I step back in horror. I knew it, I knew she would be afraid of me if she saw how volatile I look. If it weren't for that foolish Rashin, I wouldn't have made her feel scared.

"What happened back there?" She wonders softly, her voice a whisper in the quiet room.

"He was looking at you. It drove me mad." I explain in a short burst of words, unable to elaborate as heat climbs my spine at the reminder of what just happened only moments ago. It's still fresh.

Penelope looks away, staring at her short fingers with a twisted mouth as her eyes start leaking again. I hate the sight. When she cries, I feel absolutely powerless. I fall apart when she's upset.

"Don't cry, please don't be afraid. He's gone now, I won't let him near you." I promise, and I take her face in my hands. Her skin is so pale in comparison to mine, and there's a pretty pink splattered on her cheeks.

The female sniffles, a sound I would find adorable if it weren't for the emotion it shows. She can't be sad, I won't allow it, especially if I can do something about it.

"Why did he say those things?" Penelope presses, her lip trembling as she stares up at me through her wet eyelashes.

I raise an eyebrow, confused.