|11|

Elik

I hate this, really truly despise it. One minute I'm holding Penelope's hand, and the next I'm being told she has to have a check up before she can even leave the ship.

And they don't want me to go along with her. I glance down at her, and see her apprehension. She does not want to go with this male. He's insistent though. We land soon, very soon. It's urgent that she's looked over before being able to enter society.

"Posy and Jane already had their check ups. It will not take long at all. You will be returned to your mate immediately. This I swear." He directs the soft words at the human. I almost choke, hearing myself referred to as her mate. It's too enticing. I can only dream of something so lucky to happen to me.

Penelope makes no move to correct him. Although, she doesn't speak to anyone save for me.

I place a hand on her shoulder. It only makes sense that they wouldn't let me go with her. Last time we attempted to get her to our doctor, I started a fight, but it was not my fault. I refuse to admit that anyone was at fault besides the guard who struck my temper.

And Penelope ran for her life. If she got lost, or got hurt, it would be very bad. I fear for others lives if my sanity is at risk.

So, it is best that she goes alone. I don't think she is ready, however, even if she has made very good progress. We have eaten many meals at the cafeteria, and she smiles at the other females. She hasn't started to talk to them, but she is glad in their company.

It makes me very happy. She needs friends. She needs to get better. I will do whatever it takes to help my female.

But, to my surprise, Penelope nods her head up at the male with a brave face. She turns to me. I grip her arm with worry. I don't want her to take on too much at once. It might be too much for her to handle.

"You are sure?" I press, and she just nods. I reluctantly let her go, eyeing the guard leading her with a firm glare. He knows not to touch her. He keeps a safe distance between them as he shows her down the hall.

She glances behind her shoulder at me, right before she disappears behind the corner.

I sigh, burying down every urge I have to run after her and protect her from all discomfort. But I can't. This is good for her. She will be safe. A Rytarian would never harm a female. Not to mention, she will get the medical care she needs to make sure that she is healthy and strong.

Hurrying back to our room, I grab our things, which is only two bags. Penelope came with nothing but the clothing on her back and the bruises on her skin. The only things she has are the clothing pieces I've gotten for her.

The ship rattles around me, and I know that it's landed. There aren't many people on this ship, but as they all file towards the hatch, it clogs up the hallways. I hope that Penelope hasn't been let out of the clinic by now. She will be too scared to face an entire crowd of people.

I'm so protective of my little human female. I don't want to be without her, it makes me too anxious. Her touch calms me. Her presence soothes me. I crave her like I crave the air I breathe. I have already become attached to her in these short weeks.

It terrifies me. I am so dependent on a delicate creature, and it's already obvious that some people don't want me to keep her. My father and mother's history is not my ally. Though her death was a mercy, no one sees it that way. Only my team and a few others believe the story, they know what really happened

After finally being freed from the crowded hallway, I stand outside the door of the ship, looking around the planet we've just landed on. My home. I feel a calm spread over me as soon as my feet make contact with the soil. This is where I belong. This is where I'll take care of Penelope. She belongs here too, this is her home as well.

"Elik!" A voice calls out, and I turn to see an old friend approaching me. I haven't seen General Fray in a long while. He looks much the same, broad in the shoulders and having a grin to share with everyone. He's the most powerful and well respected General on the planet.

I am not much for hugging, but he insists on it. He wraps his arms around me and slaps me on the back several times before stepping back to look at me. His silver hair glints in the wind.

"How was Earth? I am going soon. We're being sent soon to go retrieve more females. I assume you've seen one of them?" He presses, excited at the mere idea of one. I do not blame him. We've been taught that they are mysterious creatures that bring blessings and love. Everyone wants one of their own to share their life with, and their kits that they'll make.

I open my mouth to respond when a quiet presence pauses behind me. I turn when a little hand wraps halfway around my arm. Penelope stands beside my elbow, her head leaning against my bicep. Fray gasps, and my female flinches.

"As you can see, I am very well acquainted with a female." I tell him, and he doesn't respond. He just stares at her. "Are you alright? How was the healer's office?"

She hesitantly looks up at me, biting her lower lip. I can tell she wants to speak, but being around the other male prohibits the words from coming out. I put an arm around her frail shoulders, hugging her snuggly to my side in reassurance.

"It was okay. I thought of you the whole time." She tells me, only looking up at me with determination despite her feather soft voice.

I smile, feeling like the luckiest male on this planet to have her think so highly of me.

"I'm very proud of you. You are brave to go alone." I praise her, and she beams up at me from the praise.

Fray clears his throat. I glance back at him, and his face has gone serious. He won't stop staring at Penelope, but I don't feel threatened by the look on his face. He looks at her as she is, a special being capable of miracles instead of an object that he envies.

"I have to get going. Our ship deploys soon. All I do is pray to the Gods that I am as fortunate as you when I reach Earth." He turns his attention back on my female and he smiles. "It was a privilege to be near you. You are a sight that gives us all hope."

With that, he walks away, there are many other ships around on the landing center grounds. There's a bit of bustle as people come and go. One thing remains the same, almost every male stops to stare at Penelope. I need to get her out of here.

"Let's go find Torint and the others. We need to be escorted to the Emperor's palace." I tell her, and she agrees, taking hold of my hand and following me like it's the only thing she wants to do.

" I tell her, and she agrees, taking hold of my hand and following me like it's the only thing she wants to do

Hope you liked the chapter! See you all next week