|20|

Elik

Not long after the incident at the palace, everything changed quickly.

I demanded justice from the Emperor, and he wholeheartedly agreed to have the issue resolved. Rashin was imprisoned after what he did, and is awaiting his trial in a jail cell. I hope his punishment will fit his crime. He terrified my poor mate, harassed me, and he is going to pay for it. Unfortunately, I won't stick around to see what becomes of the young warrior because I'm taking Penelope away from here.

As soon as I could get back to our den, I called Torint and asked him exactly how much land he had and if he minded us moving out there the very next day. Living in the middle of nowhere sounded great after what happened. Thepalace failed us, the thick walls anything but protective.

Neither of us had much to pack, and I'm thankful. We worked quickly to put everything in a bag and get a ride to where Torint has settled with his human mate.

Penelope and I ended up on a travel cruiser, the pilot was already heading in that direction and agreed to take us along. Thankfully, I had permission from the Emperor to take my female away from the palace. I was nervous that I would be denied, there are only 3 females on our planet, and I was pleasantly surprised that I was granted permission to take mine away.

The Emperor kindly informed me that him and Jane had become mates. I'm very happy for him, and I was glad that he understands the need to protect them at all costs. Leaving is what's best for my precious Penelope.

When we arrive at Torint and Posy's little farm, I'm surprised by the sight of the pregnant human female standing on the front porch waiting for us to arrive. Her belly has grown significantly to a swell, and she holds the bump with pride as she beams down at us.

I look around for Torint, even as I hold my mate tightly to my side. He's nowhere in sight, and I wonder why. He doesn't seem like the type to leave his mate alone for long, especially when she's carrying his kit.

"Come on in, I'll show you to your room." Posy says, waving an arm as we follow her into her den. The poor female practically waddles with effort.

I look down at my own female, wondering what she will look like swollen with our offspring growing in her womb. I yearn for it, excited at the idea of being a Pa, if not a little frightened. It will be a large responsibility, but I will try my hardest. I want a family with Penelope more than anything.

"Torint will be in soon. He has a surprise for you." Posy tells us on a sigh, catching her breath. The room she guides us to is small, but big enough for now. The bed is spacious, the closet acceptable.

I perk up at her mention of her male. I wonder what he has in store for us.

"I'm so happy y'all are here!" The human squeals, grabbing my mate's arm and pulling on it in excitement. If she were a male, I would hit her for the offense. But, they are females. They cannot possibly be in danger in each other's company. "I've been bored out of my mind! Torint barely lets me out of the house."

Penelope smiles kindly, not showing too much emotion, but I can tell she's happy to have a friend other than myself. I'm glad she is being more social, even if she won't say a word.

Except for when I was imprisoned, then she suddenly had courage to speak her mind. I was humbled by my mate's loving words. She called me her protector, and I will gladly accept the title with honor. I will do anything for her.

"Let's go find Torint, he's taking longer than I thought he would." Posy says, and she leads Penelope away again, hardly giving me time to put our luggage on the nest before they disappear out the door. I follow with an amused grumble.