|07|

Elik

     I hold tightly to Penelope's tiny hand. Leading her through the ship is scary for her. I can tell she tries to hide it from me, but her eyes are wide and she leans into me. She's not used to others, she doesn't want to be around them, but I haven't been out of our room in 3 days.

     As much as I care for the little human, she has to come out eventually, even if it scares her. She feels secure enough around me to agree. I want to see my teammates. I also want to bring Penelope to the healer to make sure she is healthy as can be.

     Last night I was kept awake with terrible thoughts of her sitting in that rotting cage. How terrified she must've been. How much pain she felt. I should've found her sooner. I should have been there to kill the males who raped her and beat her.

     Now I am worried about diseases that could only make her even more miserable after all she has been through. I will do anything in my power to keep her safe from harm.

     I've let the team know that Penelope's appointment will come first, and none of them understood but Torint. He knows how it feels to be caring for a female. I glance down at Penelope. Especially such a tiny one. She's about the same size as Posy.

     It is something to get used to, females Rytarians were large and strong. Humans are the opposite. They are frail, and so soft. It feels just right, like it was meant to be that way. It's almost as if their supple bodies and kind spirits are made to ease the burden of a warrior, and the hardened muscles of a male are built to protect and provide for their every desire and need.

      That is what I will be for her. Her provider. Her protector,

     Penelope's fingers clench and unclench on my hand, she bites her lips nervously as her shoulder continues to brush against my elbow. She glances around cautiously. Every time another male passes, she practically shrinks into me, glancing at the floor. She wants to disappear from their gazes. I know the feeling well.

     It is flattering, her want to be near me, and I enjoy her touch and her trust, but I am worried about her ability to function. I don't know what I'm supposed to do to help her be comfortable or normal without me at her side. It makes me concerned with what might happen if we're not together.

     We reach the healer, and he beckons us to come inside. He's welcoming, smiling at us. I hold Penelope in front of me, two comforting hands on her shoulders.

     I quickly notice that there's another male in the room other than the healer. He stands by the wall, watching us with narrowed eyes. His arms are crossed across his chest. He stands ere as if he is the captain of this ship. I want to growl at him when the human moves her body around until she's behind me. He's making her nervous.

     "Why is he here?" I ask, and the healer turns to us with raised eyebrows. He's acting innocent. How dare him let another male around my human? She is absolutely petrified.

     "I want to make sure that you do not harm the female." The soldier stalks towards us with curiosity, and intimidation. It is meant to frighten me, but it has the opposite effect.

     Penelope whimpers. I snarl.

     "Why would I ever hurt her? She is female. She is sacred. I will protect her with my life." I swear, and he keeps coming towards us. I growl out a warning. I don't want to fight him, and if he comes and closer I will.

     "I do not want to fight, any violence around her and she is in danger. She's too delicate to survive." I reprimand, and I feel Penelope's little heart beating wildly in her rib cage. I know I am right.