12. Beverages and beaches

Just a fun vacation time with the boys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samantha walked with her stuff downhill. She thought about everything that happened and smiled to herself, happy about the situation and her adventures. Sure, being in a life threatening situation hadn't been great and being injured like she had been wasn't that great also, but it had provided a situation of which she could only have dreamed. She had befriended two celestial beings and heck, they had come to her hometown.

She sighed happy and begun to hum a marry tune. She took out her phone and looked at the time. 5 o clock. Her mother wouldn't be home from work yet but she didn't mind at all. She passed through the town now, chatting to a few people about her vacation and about what had happened in the town while she was gone. Having come nearly to the foot of the hill she arrived near the centre of the town, where a single café was open and thriving as usual. She passed and looked in, curiously. She expected to see her colleague Daphne walking around and taking orders, but instead was met by the eyes of the boss himself. He waved at her and she came over.
"Hello Samantha!" he said with his ever welcoming smile. "How good to see you again. I hope you have had a nice holiday?"

"Mister Barten!", replied Samantha kindly. "Yes I have indeed. I had a lovely time. Seen a lot of things, met some people, had some fun." she explained while observing him. He seemed tired.
"That is lovely. I cannot wait to hear all about it."
Samantha smiled soft, then hummed. "Why are you standing here alone? Where is Daphne?"
He sighed. "She has been sick all week. Got the Mexican flu, poor child. She is getting better, but it means I had to run this place on my own." he explained and he looked up at her. "Say, I don't mean to intrude, but could you perhaps work tomorrow? If it isn't too much. I really could use some help."
"Of course I can." she replied kindly. "I have nothing planned tomorrow anyhow and you look tired. I'll be there. Usual time?"
"You are an angel, do you know that?" said Mr Barten with a kind smile. "Yes, normal time. I wouldn't know what I would have done without you."
"Really it isn't a problem at all." she said and let out a soft giggle. "And I am no angel. I just like to help. And after all I do get paid. So why not take the opportunity to help and earn money at the same time, hmm?"
"Always so honest." laughed Mr Barten. "All right. I see you still need to bring your bags away so I won't hold you up any longer. Greet your mother for me when you see her, will you?"
"Of course I will. See you tomorrow." she said and waved while walking off. Mr Barten waved back and then went back to his guests.

Samantha soon arrived home now. She looked at the driveway of the modest cottage. The red Fort was still absent. Her mother would be home late in that case. She walked up to the door and struggled for a few minutes trying to find her keys. She had put them in her bag so she wouldn't lose them out of her pocket during her holiday, but now they had wandered all the way down under her bathroom supplies and she had to mess around in the bag a bit before she found them. She went in, kicked off her shoes and proceeded to drag her bags all the way up to the attic, where she had her room. Actually the whole attic was her domain. There were two rooms. One she used as bedroom and one as art room. Or as she liked to call it, her inspiration room. This room was full with her sketchbooks, art supplies, her laptop, drawers everywhere and a giant iron schoolboard full of her sketches and marker drawings. Even though she still lived with her mother, this was pretty much her own home. Sometimes Samantha joked they just shared a bathroom, washing machine and kitchen. She loved her mother and was on good terms with her, which allowed her to stay in her elderly home and do this, while having the freedom to do whatever she liked. Her mother worked in the town nearby and was often home late, so Samantha would do a lot of the chores. Cooking, washing, and vacuuming. The usual stuff.