Chapter 1: You've Had A Busy Week

I am screwed.

The fancy red note card with golden letters scrawled across it told me that much as it fluttered to the ground. I had to clasp my hands together to stop them from shaking. No matter how hard my lungs worked, my breath came short. The words that I had just read played over and over again.

P.S. Next time you commit murder, don't be so obvious.

I looked down at the golden words that stared back at me tauntingly. I ignored the variety of sympathetic and strange glances kids threw as they shuffled past. I couldn't seem to move.

Images flickered through my eyes. He fell off the railing, his face turning from tantalizing to pure fear as he realized what had happened. He was lying on the ground blood seeping across the leaves and into the water. The sirens screamed through the woods and the police lights reflected off the trees. My stomach clenched as guilt welled up, threatening to make my eyes water.

You can't do this, not here.

I took a deep breath.

Get the fuck together.

I unclasped my hands as the shaking slowed and bent down, gently picking up the card that had appeared in my locker this morning. I folded it back up and shoved it back inside before slamming the door shut. I leaned my head forward on the locker door as I tried to steady my dizzying thoughts.

Someone knew what happened yesterday. Someone knew I killed him. Who? Who was this Secret Keeper? How did they know? My breathing got heavier again.

Stop it, Vera.

I closed my eyes and envisioned the events of the last night. I needed to let it go, push it away. I thought of it from an outside perspective. I was watching some other girl argue with a random boy. I watched some other girl push him off the railing. I watched some other girl scream as she found the random boy's dead body. I watched her run. I watched the entire scene unfold as if it was happening to something else. It merely became a movie, one that I had enjoyed in the theater with popcorn sitting next to Jason and the Kleizmick siblings and Tyler and Alyssa.

I didn't kill him.

My breathing steadied. The assault of emotions and guilt left leaving me with nothing. My heart felt dark and empty.

I didn't kill him.

"Hey, Vera."

I jumped as a girl's voice came from inches away. I looked up to find Alyssa Alder's majestic figure standing right next to me, her turquoise blue eyes filled with concern, her blonde hair cascading down her sleeveless white top. The 5 inch skirt she wore scandalously violated the school dress code as it exposed her perfectly toned legs. The black Mui Mui boots gave her an extra two inches to her already tall frame. Sweet vanilla perfume wafted into my nose. As always, my cousin looked like a goddess. Except for her face.

Her face was stunning, don't get me wrong. The scarlet red lipstick and mascara and hints of foundation were done perfectly. There was just something off about it. After staring at her for sixteen years I could tell her makeup was put on in quickly, as if she rushed through it. The only part that looked worked on was the spot under her eyes. The foundation was applied precisely, no doubt trying to cover up dark circles.

"Hi, Alyssa."

"Thinking about Jason?" she asked, referring to my earlier position against the locker.

I nodded. You have no idea.

"Me too. I couldn't sleep for so long last night after we got back home."