Chapter 2: So Have I

Dear Vera,

I was quite shocked when you walked into school today with that short plaid skirt and fake confident smile plastered to your lips.

The blood red lipstick was a nice touch. It reminded me of what Jason looked like as he took his last breath.

-Secret Keeper

I hate funerals

I hate funerals.

They're the best place for family drama, secrets, lies, and heart attacks.

After I read the note a couple dozen times I shoved it under a sea of books and stared at the ceiling for what seemed like hours before drifting off to a restless sleep. It was my brother who woke me up the next morning.

He jumped on to the bed and pretended to sleep on top of me until I woke up from his weight.

"Vincent," I complained as he refused to get off. His blue-brown mismatched eyes looked back with a smile indicating that he wasn't going to leave anytime soon.

"Get off, Vince."

"No."

"Now."

"No."

"I'll tell the Grinch to steal all of your Christmas presents next month if you don't."

"I'm not six! I'm nine."

"You're right. You know what gets a nine year old to do what you want?"

He looked up at me, the curiosity spiking in the eyes I had grown so accustomed to. "What?"

"The tickle monster!" I flipped him over and jabbed my fingers into his stomach. He squirmed as uncontrollable laughter filled the room. He finally broke free and ran out of the room.

Two minutes later his head popped back in.

"Mommy says to get ready for the funeral," he said and left.

So, there I was, getting ready for my cousin's stepfather's funeral as I thought about how I killed one of my best friends.

Life is pretty fucked up.

I was wearing a knee length black dress with black lace around my arms. The ends of the sleeves had a hole so that I could put my thumb through it. My dark brown hair was placed into a messy bun and I applied a little mascara to my long eyelashes. I was about to wear some dark red lipstick and stopped. My mind flickered back to the note from yesterday.

The blood red lipstick was a nice touch.

I shoved the cap back on and threw the lipstick back into the drawer, settling for a lighter red lip gloss. The look was completed with a black hat. It had a black bow around the side and black netting cascading down the front.